HELP - advice please

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Looking for some advice. I am in the middle of a DAFNE course just now - and when working out my carbs this evening I stupidly worked it on grams rather than CP's.
As soon as I injected and thought to myself I've NEVER injected this much insulin before and realised what I had done.
So now I have around 28 units of humalog too many in me.

I phoned NHS 24 and they said they would phone back but they haven't yet so looking for some advice.

I have so far had 100ml of full sugar coke and 3 digestives - taking my BG every 10 minutes of so - it's still at 6 but I expect that the full force of the insulin will hit me in a very short while.

Any advice on what I should do?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Keep testing regularly and try to counteract with carbs if possible. Orange juice is a good alternative if you get fed up of fizzy coke. Hopefully NHS will call back soon, if not, call them back before going to bed.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hopefully the NHS helpline will advise, just make sure you have plenty of fast-acting glucose to hand and keep monitoring your bg, eat a bowl or two of cereal as that should be enough to keep your bg levels up.

Good luck, and if you do stay at home just be sure to stay up a bit later than normal to make sure your bg levels are safe to go to bed on, it might also be worth setting your alarm for 2 hours after you go to bed so that you can see how your bg levels are coping.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all.

Still waiting for NHS24 to call back :(

I have been taking BG every 10 minutes and having 100ml of coke and one or two digestives - so far so good, and I think that as it is now about two hours since I took the insulin, that I should be over the worst. I have had 12 CP's so far and BG was around 6. Going to drop tests to every 20 minutes now for the next hour.

I will take my BI at 10pm as normal - I was going to test at 3am anyway (due to DAFNE).

Hopefully will be okay - can't imagine what DAFNE will say when I have to fess up tomorrow!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hopefully will be okay - can't imagine what DAFNE will say when I have to fess up tomorrow!

Don't worry about that, we have all been there before :)

Hope you enjoy your last day on the course, are you all going out lunch?

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Loved DAFNE, hopefully things will improve for me now as I understand so much better - despite having read every forum and lots of books previously.
We went for lunch every day except today as we finished early.
They took us to hospital dining room and made us carb count our lunch! Including scraping chips off plate to weigh them!

They also said I had done exactly the right thing. NHS 24 phoned me at 10:30pm - I told the doctor I would've been unconcious if I'd waited for her advice!

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Loved DAFNE, hopefully things will improve for me now as I understand so much better - despite having read every forum and lots of books previously.
We went for lunch every day except today as we finished early.
They took us to hospital dining room and made us carb count our lunch! Including scraping chips off plate to weigh them!

They also said I had done exactly the right thing. NHS 24 phoned me at 10:30pm - I told the doctor I would've been unconcious if I'd waited for her advice!

The NHS helpline aren't the quickest at responding, thank goodness you were OK and handled it yourself :)