Help Food tastes bad whenever I eat

xkmac3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone elses sence of taste changed with having diabetes. To me food either has no taste, tastes overly salty/sweet or it just tastes nasty when there isn't anything wrong with it. Nothing tastes right anymore only veg and muller rice. My food intake is decreased. I know that I have to eat and am managing 3 meals and the occasional pot of muller rice. I'm not sure if it is the Metformin tablets that I take twice a day or something else.

Any ideas or advice?

:) Thank you

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Have you discussed this with your doctor.change of taste can sometimes indicate something wrong elsewhere.

xkmac3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sue,
I have a follow-up appointment with my GP for more blood test results on Wednesday. I'll mention it to him then.

:) Thank you

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Just looked metformin up in the BNF ,it can cause the side effect of a metallic taste but still best to mention it to your doc.

Fuggsy

Dislikes
Being preached at about low carbing
Hi, I've had the same problem for months. I've found that I'm much more sensitive to smells which transfers to taste. Often when I cook, and it doesn't matter what I cook I get a smell that I can only describe as rotting bananas. No one else can smell it but it puts me of eating before it's even cooked. Food that I do manage to eat tastes salty or too vile to articulate.
Its not nice but I'm relieved its not just me