Help how can i lose weight

amandac2601

Hi.. I am looking for help/advice. I need to loose weight and i dont know how! I've tried Orlistat and it made me ill. I'm waiting to see a dietician but god knows when thats going happen! Can anyone recommend a diet plan for diabetics? I know low GI is good which is great but i could do with a plan to follow.

Any help would be much appreciated

Amanda

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Welcome to the forum, Amanda, though I sorry for the need that brings you here.

The simple answer is: reduce your carbohydrate intake. I followed low GI for 8 years from diagnosis & hovered around 13 st. Then, following the onset of complications, including crippling leg pain, I realised I had to take determined action.

I'm T2 on 2 metformin/day, 69 & started at 13 st. I lost a stone in 3 months & am still losing & I have not felt hungry, nor do I feel any desire to revert to the previous diet which had about 3 times the carb. I am now less sleepy (sleep used to be a serious problem - especially for a church organist dozing during sermons! Also driving was a problem as I would have to stop every hour on a long drive. ) I still play tennis at club standard.

My basic diet is:
a porridge compound for b'fast (1 desert spoon each oats, oat bran, wheat germ, wheat bran, soya protein + cinnamon, 2 chopped dried apricots. I now use soya milk as milk has significant sugar amount

[others will recommend bacon/egg, rather than cereal - I use porridge/bran compound to help reduce cholesterol]

cut right down potatoes/pasta/rice with main meals (1 d'spoon or none

salad for evening meal
2 slices bread per day

as much veg & fresh fruit as I want - but no fruit juice nor bananas, & few grapes

snack on cheese & nuts - cheese triangles or hard cheese but no biscuits. Almonds, walnuts & brazils are better than cashews & peanuts. Not salted. I eat about a kilo a week.

Surprisingly my cholesterol dropped from 5.4 to 4.3 during that 3 months. My Dr is impressed.

Hope that helps. Others will offer similar advice & have the same experience.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Amanda, glad you could join us.

Many of us have had great success in losing weight without hunger by following low-carb principles. It's not a diet in the way that such things are sold these days, more a few basic rules to bear in mind whenever you eat.
In short, fat doesn't make you fat, carbohydrates make you fat.
Therefore eliminate the main sources of carbohydrates from your diet, in particular bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and in fact anything made from refined flour or sugar.
Instead, base your meals around healthy foods like meat, fish, eggs, dairy foods, vegetables and nuts. It's not nearly as restrictive as it sounds and you can enjoy an endless variety of meals using these ingredients.
The purpose is to reduce your blood sugar which, due to elevated insulin levels, will cause you to gain weight and make weight loss almost impossible.
There are many low-carb recipe books on the market, any of which will help you.

Good luck, and keep in touch.

All the best,

fergus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi amanda
I'm with the others on this
Ditch the Carbs. (If you're taking insulin, a sulphonylurea or a glitazone, you'll need to reduce your dose too. they cause weight gain and prevent weight loss. I have lost 2.5 stones. it took me a year, but then I'm female and males lose faster
I'm still trying to lose more, still low carb and now cutting calories too. I stopped taking gliclazide a yeear ago and manage on Metformin alone. with low carb, it's enough.

SilverAndEbony

Is their a good website that I can look at to find out what I can eat to follow low-carb diet - please don't say
http://www.diabetes-diet.org.uk/

I find it very difficult to read purely because of the colours and layout of the pages. I haven't actually read much of it as the red text in particular sends me cross eyed.
:roll:

I'm a bit narrow minded. I like a plan background with good sized black text. Lots of columns and stuff on the page is way too much for me :cry:
White text on a black background is the worst! I leave the site straight away...

I don't eat much meat - I'm not vegetarian I just don't like it. I also don't eat eggs for milk. If I could live on nuts I'd be happy though!