Help! I am being asked to gain weight by family!

Redrav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Negative people
Dear Forum Members,
My family is consistently nagging me to put on weight. Since I started the low carb program, I lost approx. 6 Kgs. I now weigh 65 Kgs. I am told that I look sick and need to put on weight. I do not want to put on weight as this may lead to a high HBA1C. Also, I am vegetarian. I stopped taking medication and my average count is about 6.4. Please assist.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I would politely tell your family that you have lost weight out of necessity in order to bring you blood sugars down! If that doesn't work tell them to mind their own business as you are happy with your weight!

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, that's just over 10st in UK speak. How tall are you? My skinny husband is 10 1/2 stone and is 5' 8" tall (1.7 m). If he went down to 10 st he'd look thinner, but I don't think he'd look ill. However, your 6 kg is nearly a stone and if my husband lost a stone he would look ill.

Do you feel better for losing the weight though? If you feel good, then that' the whole point surely? I think family are often shocked by change in a member, but they'll get used to it. Just show them all the ways it's better for you or just say, "this is the new me, get used to it" - it's your body and your life, after all. Just don't go stuffing carbs to put weight on, as you know that wy lies all sorts of other problems.

Redrav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Negative people
I am the same height as your husband Rosie. I feel absolutely fantastic and energetic! Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
65kg is on the light side for a man but if it's right for your body structure and you feel well, it's entirely up to you. I can't comment on your bs numbers but certainly maintaining a lean body mass will help avoid a LOT of health problems, not just T2. Be sure you're within a healthy weight range, though, and that your team know what's going on regarding medication. :)

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am getting the same reaction from my family. I am now 10 st 7 lb and about 5 foot eight. Mind you that is after a total weight loss of 8 st over the past year so I suppose they have a point. So compromise don't put on weight but try not to lose any more tell them you feel you are now at your goal weight and are going to maintain it.That is the deal I made with my family.:)

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I'm still on the journey myself - nearly 3 stone lost since September (and at least another 2 to go). It can take a while for your family to adjust to not seeing the (and I'm sorry to say this!) heavier you. The main thing is your health which is the most important. If you are happy at that weight and your sugars are controlled there, then you can politely tell them that it is right for you.

Reactions: Redrav

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm at 11 stone. 70 kilo or thereabouts and was at 13 stone a few months ago. I'm 5ft 11 and am now at BMI 21. I'd like to lose another half stone and get into a 30 waist trouser. I'm at 32 waist now, down from 34.

I am sick and tired of people telling me I've lost too much weight, I feel really well too.

Reactions: Redrav

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always get the same thing. "You're too thin". Well I'm never going to get fat eating veggies moderate protein and healthy fat. Carbs make me feel awful. So I just say I feel so much better, more energy etc so obviosly if I feel better this is where my body likes to be. Lower bs being a great side effect!!!

Reactions: Jamesuk9 and Redrav

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am the same height as your husband Rosie. I feel absolutely fantastic and energetic! Thanks for the advice.

As you feel well, I would urge you not to be overly concerned. What is your current BMI? Whilst the BMI isn't an ideal way to assess weight/stature/health, for most people it is a good indicator. Those it does no favours too are heavily muscled rugby players and other "bulky" sports", for instance, and those who are either extraordinarily tall, or vertically challenged.

When folks lose weight, it is sometimes difficult for those around them to get used to the sleeker shape. Additionally, as we put on a few years, our skin can take longer to snap back, when weight reduction occurs. For myself that meant my upper arms, and to a much lesser extent my neck have taken some time to adjust. Now, almost 3 years on, I don't think my arms will ever be as I would ideally like them to be.

If it's any comfort, I saw an Endochrinologist about a month ago about something non-diabetic (but the Consultant does also advice on diabetes at Consultant level). During discussion he asked me about my general medical history and asked if I was diabetic, so I explained although I had been diagnosed in 2013, I had since been removed from the register and marked "Diabetes Resolved". He then trawled back through my medical record, and spent a moment or two reading the GP notes and reviewing my various blood panels.

He asked if I had trimmed up at all over my journey and I explained I had, which had significantly improved my insulin resistance and carb tolerance. In a heartbeat he responded asking me to please ensure I didn't regain the poundage I had lost as that, along with dietary changes, was an important part of my success.

I weigh 47.5kg, 160cm, and therefore a BMI of 18.5, so I am right on the lower end of the healthy range.

Feel free to show your family my post if you feel it would help.

Redrav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Negative people
Thank you all. Glad to know that I am not the only one with this predicament. I am now confident and will respond appropriately to any negative criticism.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 63Kg, male age 72 and feel fine. If you feel your weight is OK it probably is. Others may be judging by the average obese person.