help I am newbee

emac

Hello,

Just found out this week that I am almost certainly diabetic. My dad and grandad have type 2, so I always new it was likely - but I thought I would be able to booze happily till 50 then get the the diagnosis.

The thing is I am only 28, quite active, a bit overweight (but not obese) and I am shocked it has hit me now. I went into the GP for tests for something else, but my fasting blood sugar came out at 17, there was glucose in my urine, the finger prick came out at 27 blood sugar and the A1C haemoglobin came out at 9.2 %.

I realise these results look like I have been bathing in chocolate, whilst eating donuts, and I am going to have to be monk like, but I am don't know if it is type one or two? What do people think?

thanks very much for your help.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi emac,
Sorry about your diagnosis, but you're amongst friends here. Top people who have made all the mistakes and learned all the lessons the hard way, just so you don't have to! :wink:
It would be wrong of us to say whether you are type 1 or 2, but your blood sugars are very high so it might be that you have lost some insulin production. Ask your doctor for something called a c-peptide test which will tell you how much insulin you make, and establish whether you're a 1 or a 2.
In the meantime, cut out the sugars and starches as much as possible and you should see an immediate improvement if you are type 2.
All the best,

fergus

emac

Thanks very much fergus. Well I have been eating a bit better and taking glicazide and it is already down to 14 so maybe it is type two.

Will ask the doc for that other test. Good to know there are people out there to panic/cope with.
cheers

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
Hi!

Oh yes get the tests, but most importently get the medication right. I was diagnosed end of July and they have been messing with what meds to put me on. (just changed again yesterday) but my levels are great now. They still can't figure out what type i have but the importent thing is my BS levels are good!

Get the C peptide and million other tests! they should do them as part of diagnosis but as i say don't worry TOO much about the type. Yes it is imp that you find out, but what's more imp is to get your levels under control. Then you can start nagging them about the proper diagnosis. (oh they hate me up at the hospital now!) plus i find it so much easier to remember stuff now, I was similar to you. BS level 32 at diagnosis now it's a really bad day if i get up to 8.0.

All in all though remember, your not alone, and this forum is the most useful thing ever!

Kath
x
PS. i'm only a little bit younger than you!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Watch that gliclazide It causes weight gain. Only works in T2 It's not usually the first or only medication given.
Low carb should work for you too.

emac

**** the weight gain - I was just staring to enjoy my sveltish diabetes induced figure! More inportant to be healthy mind. I will get those tests done and avoid the carbs - the odd ale aside. Thanks again.