Help Me Like Mushrooms

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Husband loves the things but as I don't & I'm the house cook we never have them. I think it's a texture thing. Anyway they're so good for you & people who love them really seem to love them so I'm determined to find a way to incorporate them.

Got any favourite types/ways to prepare them that might convert me?

Reactions: 6 people

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
How can you not like mushrooms? I've never met a mushroom I didn't like, I mean they are all such fungi's

Reactions: 11 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well you can see the pickle I'm in @RYU - not only am I missing out on a valuable source of nutrients but I'm also missing out on the opportunity to make truly terrible jokes :p

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love mushrooms but I don't think they are a valuable source of nutrients. Not like most vegetables
maybe try to fry them with butter and them add some cream. Its a nice sauce on steak or roast

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If you buy the big field mushrooms, douse them in olive oil, salt and pepper and drop a big dollop of blue cheese in the middle, bake for a while, lush.
Chop little mushies up fry in butter and add them to an omelette or scrambled eggs.

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you tried stuffed mushrooms not the little button ones but the portabello ones some of the recipes on line are really nice. Also try the breakfast tray recipe that my GF uses its the 18th post in this thread. It has mushrooms but with the cheese and eggs and stuff you can't really taste them.

As for truly terrible jokes you say potato and I say 'ohhhh to many carbs' :p

Reactions: 5 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mushrooms are really good for some of the B vitamins. I would suggest 'breading' of crushed nuts or with veggie or vegan cheese substitute and maybe a pinch of garlic powder, on button mushrooms and cooked in the oven or deep fried.

Edited bc I didn't see that was on veggie forum soz
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Husband loves the things but as I don't & I'm the house cook we never have them. I think it's a texture thing. Anyway they're so good for you & people who love them really seem to love them so I'm determined to find a way to incorporate them.

Why do you think you have got to make yourself like them they are not essential in your diet and like Marmite I think people either love them or hate them

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Don't eat what you don't like .... But .. Have you tried raw chestnut mushrooms .. Love them in quarters in a salad ... Yummmmm or dried mixed mushrooms ( rehydrated ) in a tomato sauce veggie spagbol with lots of other veg ... The rehydrated dried mushrooms are chewer than fresh mushrooms.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fry them in some Extra Virgin Olive Oil, butter, freshly chopped garlic and season with salt & pepper, that will convert you :)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
How can you not like mushrooms? I've never met a mushroom I didn't like, I mean they are all such fungi's
Yes!

i_hear_he_s_a_fungi__by_slugslimes-d6nkq4l.jpg

In all seriousness, Shiitake mushrooms are really nice (75% carbs per 100g from what I can see though)

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I asked my mate what kind of soup was good that he had in the house

He started clucking.

"Chicken?" I asked him.

"No...mushroom," he replied, " but I can't make a noise like a mushroom."

Sorry couldn't resist :)

Reactions: 4 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much for all the tips & ideas (& the bad jokes!) everybody :)

Seeing as I had to give up or reduce my consumption of some of my old favourites I thought it was worth trying some of the veggies I've been snubbing.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I just started to add mushrooms in to my casseroles! Another food I always thought I hated. If they are cut up in to tiny slices you really don't notice them with the meat.
My last chinese chicken curry ( which made me puke up last Christmas) had them in and they were big chunks so I hoiked them out! So was puking without the mushrooms!

Their used to be a yummy garlic sauce that I would fry them in for my hubby.. Loved the sauce but still could not face the mushrooms themselves.

Like you I am also trying to include foods that I thought I disliked. As long as they are disguised somehow and cut in to small pieces and I have a few, then build up the qty then I have grown to like things like olives, avocado etc.

Mackeral even. Only confession I will make here. Hubby still does not know. He left my mackeral salad in fridge for me. It was just after an op and I was on high levels of medication..(thats my excuse). I couldn't face the mackeral so put them out for neighbours cats. Hubby came home and put out bins and I had to hurriedly take in the mackeral plate. It was outside for almost 5 hours...put it in fridge and told him I just couldn't face eating mackeral that night. Following morning mackeral from fridge had gone. Hubby had ate it! Didn't tell him it had been outside! Also then thought I better ask him to clean the fridge out just incase anything had got on to the fish and in fridge! He never asked why he was having to clean it out...thankfully he wasn't ill either.

Good luck with mushrooms...

Reactions: 7 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just started to add mushrooms in to my casseroles! Another food I always thought I hated. If they are cut up in to tiny slices you really don't notice them with the meat.
My last chinese chicken curry ( which made me puke up last Christmas) had them in and they were big chunks so I hoiked them out! So was puking without the mushrooms!

Their used to be a yummy garlic sauce that I would fry them in for my hubby.. Loved the sauce but still could not face the mushrooms themselves.

Like you I am also trying to include foods that I thought I disliked. As long as they are disguised somehow and cut in to small pieces and I have a few, then build up the qty then I have grown to like things like olives, avocado etc.

Mackeral even. Only confession I will make here. Hubby still does not know. He left my mackeral salad in fridge for me. It was just after an op and I was on high levels of medication..(thats my excuse). I couldn't face the mackeral so put them out for neighbours cats. Hubby came home and put out bins and I had to hurriedly take in the mackeral plate. It was outside for almost 5 hours...put it in fridge and told him I just couldn't face eating mackeral that night. Following morning mackeral from fridge had gone. Hubby had ate it! Didn't tell him it had been outside! Also then thought I better ask him to clean the fridge out just incase anything had got on to the fish and in fridge! He never asked why he was having to clean it out...thankfully he wasn't ill either.

Good luck with mushrooms...

Hi @donnellysdogs

I don't mean to be picky .. but you are in the Vegetarian forum, talk dead animals or dead fish are not appropriate here :)

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi @donnellysdogs

I don't mean to be picky .. but you are in the Vegetarian forum, talk dead animals or dead fish are not appropriate here :)

Oops!! Lol:)- can I blame this faux pas on legal drugs too please?? :)