Help me please- Type 2 (Newly Diagnosed)

bluestar

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and my HB... was 11.4. This was three days ago. The health proffessional wants me to start on metrormin straight away. When my BM was taken after fasting is was 15 mmols and after breakfast it was around 20 mmols. I do not want to jump on the medication. I know my diet has been bad and I am willing to change it 100% , and also to introduce exersice. Is this achievable? I am so cofuseed with all the info on diet etc. I need to know where to start. Does anyone have any infomation that I can look at regarding diet, exercise, testing etc.Are ther any esuful sites that i can look at or books to read. Help....... I was given the results over the phone and I will be seeing the health proffessional on Tuesday.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Bluestar,

Welcome to the forum.

I was in your position just over 5 months ago now, with a very similar initial reading. Now thanks to the help and advice gleaned from this forum my BG is under control using diet only..........I never did get around to the exercise bit. :oops:

Feel free to trawl through my posts, but I warn you, there are loads of them. :wink: :lol:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
This site is probably one of the best places for information about getting control of your diabetes. There are many different points of view on here to chose from and much useful information on different diets.

If you cannot find what you are looking for please ask and someone will answer you.

Here is the advice we usually give to newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics.This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

The main carbs to avoid or reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating then two hours after eating you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels. Some foods, which are slow acting carbohydrates, are absorbed more slowly so you may need to test three or even four hours later to see the affect that these have on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try !!

As a Type 2 the latest 2010 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals......no more than 8.5 mmol/l.
If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do 30 minutes moderate exercise a day. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

Sue/Ken.

Thunderbird 4

Hi,
Welcome to those who have just been diagnosed (I was last Wednesday). The first thing I suppose is that we all have a massive 'knee Jurk Reaction' and panic like mad over the diagnosis. But when you read some of the forum information you will see its all about being sensible with your diet and moderate exercise. Put it this way...your diet will change dramatically...which is a good thing, you will be more concious of your lifestyle and in the long term this will provide many benefits.

I am sure some of the more experienced on the forum will be in a better postion to give advice, but in the meantime stay calm, look at the reality of the situation and use the diagnosos to help you better manage your lifestyle. You must remember you are not alone with your Diabetes as there are (as national statistics state) over 2,500.000 million people out there with the same condition.

take care.

bluestar

Ardbeg said:
Hi Bluestar,

Welcome to the forum.

I was in your position just over 5 months ago now, with a very similar initial reading. Now thanks to the help and advice gleaned from this forum my BG is under control using diet only..........I never did get around to the exercise bit. :oops:

Feel free to trawl through my posts, but I warn you, there are loads of them. :wink: :lol:

How do I read your posts i am new at this

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello Bluestar and welcome. :)

Do take on board Sue/Ken's post with the advice to newly diagnosed T2s as it will be of more help than anything else! 8)

If you want to read someone's post then click on their name and look out for the links that come up on their page. You can't do anything dire by clicking on things and following your nose really! :D

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Hello and welcome . I was diagnosed 6 months ago and persuaded my Doctor to let me try a change of diet and extra exercise, she agreed to give me an initial 3 months and so I began to read, read and more read and decided that a lower carb regime was the way forward for me . I`ve always walked a lot but began to walk more and within 3 months , the difference has been amazing, so much so that my Doctor is happy to see me every 6 months and to stay off meds . I`m nearly 63 years old and have found the exercise to be a massive improvement to my well being , you can do it !!

PickledPepper

Bluestar

About 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a much higher Hb than yours. Since then, with the help of advice given on this forum, I managed to get my bs levels down via diet. I hope I don't live (or otherwise) to regret it but I haven't taken any of the medicines they prescribed me, preferring to deal with it via diet (and hopefully exercise very soon).

I bought a bunch of strips and lancets with my own cash to see exactly what the food I was eating was doing to me and have started to keep a diary. Today I am on the verge of having my first full day within range (I've been fluctuating between 6.2 and 6.8 all day, not as low as I would like but a start).

Watch out for the advice the NHS people give. I found eliminating carbs (contrary to their advice) did wonders for me. Testing showed me that any carbs (wholemeal and brown stuff included) sent my levels through the roof. What this condition (type 2) seems to mean is that you have to be super careful of what you eat and establish what effects you and what doesn't. Each individual is unique in this respect and what one person can stomach is poison to another and only testing will let you personally know where you stand.

Thankfully I've always enjoyed cooking and this condition means that I have to jettison much of my previous repertoire and discover new alternatives. Fair enough.

On the plus side, today I found out that curry (which I am very keen on) doesn't effect my bs levels if I lay off the rice and rotis. I had a couple of whiskys earlier and will test myself at 1 hour to see what effect they will have on me.

In the end I think a large part of this is finding out what food agrees and disagrees with you and creating a diet around that. In time I want to reintroduce small amounts of carbs into my diet but previous experience means I'm in no rush to do that right now.

Keep your chin up. I know the immediate period after diagnosis can be a tad bit hairy.

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Well, Bluestar, welcome and I don't think you'll get any better advice from the guys on here. I have to totally agree with the starchy carbs thingy. Most diabetes 'professionals' will tell you to eat a high carb diet. That's fine, but what they don't tell you is that starchy carbs will just make your blood sugar levels rocket. I've proved it!! I was injecting massive amounts of insulin before I got wise and found the Glycaemic Load regime. I was also put on Byetta. Since then I've cut out all starchy carbs and have lost a total of nearly 5 stone since Dec. 18th last year. I no longer need to inject Novorapid and have reduced the Lantus. I too experiment with different foods, checking the effect they have on my blood tests. I ordered a chicken tikka masala, no rice or naans or poppadums, and an aloo gobi (curried cauli and potato. I only managed to eat half the tikka and a spoonful of the aloo gobi, and my BM stayed at 4.6. So I now know it doesn't have too adverse an effect on my blood sugar. It's trial and error really, but you'll always find an answer and good advice on here. Good luck. :p :p :p

Synonym

Dislikes
sue32 said:
I only managed to eat half the tikka and a spoonful of the aloo gobi, and my BM stayed at 4.6. So I now know it doesn't have too adverse an effect on my blood sugar. It's trial and error really, but you'll always find an answer and good advice on here. Good luck. :p :p :p

Portion control is vital! :)

bluestar

Struggling with the Diet

Every thing is all new to me - I was diagnosed less than two weeks ago and my levels were quite high. I started having lots of veg and a bit of protein and I must admit my levels have been going down around 6 to 7. Today I decided to have just a bit of rice with loads of veg and a small piece of fish. I was shoked my BG levels went to 10.7. This has really put me off. The thing is I cant go on having vegies all the time without a bit of carbs.

Also I have been having cravings cashew nuts. Have been having a bit. I do not know what to have as snacks (please advise)Can some one help me I know this condition can be a challenge and I do not want this to affect my life.

I miss having cereals in the morning and I am even afraid to try incase it affects my BG levels. What am I doing wrong. I need to know what to have as snacks , I am tied of celery sticks ets. :oops: :cry:

Synonym

Dislikes
Re: Struggling with the Diet

Hi Bluestar :)

If you go back to the beginning of your thread and look at Sue's post, which is the second one down from your original post, you will find the advice to newly diagnosed T2s. This is the gold star advice which you really need to follow. 8)

Have you got yourself a Carb Counter book yet :?: Are you testing to see what your food is doing to your BG levels :?: Are you keeping a food diary and noting the test results against the food eaten so that you can see which food is safe for you and which you need to cut down or cut out :?:
You absolutely do have to work this out for yourself as we are all different and what works for one of us is not necessarily what will work for you so test, test, test :!:

bluestar said:
Every thing is all new to me - I was diagnosed less than two weeks ago and my levels were quite high. I started having lots of veg and a bit of protein and I must admit my levels have been going down around 6 to 7.
So that is really good and no problem!

Today I decided to have just a bit of rice with loads of veg and a small piece of fish. I was shoked my BG levels went to 10.7. This has really put me off.
So you have learnt that rice is not good for you - another good thing!

The thing is I cant go on having vegies all the time without a bit of carbs.
Then you ARE eating carbs since veggies have carbs in them!

Also I have been having cravings cashew nuts. Have been having a bit.
That is ok so long as you don't go too mad - check your Carb Counter book which will also tell you what else is in them!

I do not know what to have as snacks (please advise)Can some one help me I know this condition can be a challenge and I do not want this to affect my life.
Look in the Carb Counter book and choose what you would like - and yes it will affect your life! How could it not?

I miss having cereals in the morning and I am even afraid to try incase it affects my BG levels.
Cereal will affect your BG levels as it contains carbs! Look in your Carb Counter book!
What am I doing wrong. I need to know what to have as snacks , I am tied of celery sticks ets. :oops: :cry:
Are you eating proper regular meals? That is what you need to do so that you don't have a need of snacks. If you still get hungry check out the Carb Counter book for things like cheese, meats fruits and veggies

charlie73

Hi all, my husband was diagnosed with type 2 last week. The doctor said we could not see the nurse for at least a week to let everything 'sink in' I have been searching the internet for as much info as possible and would love any advice. My hubby's sugar levels were very high, sorry I don't exactly know what they were, it was a lot to take in, as were his cholesterol levels.

I am not sure what to be giving him food wise, luckily the weather has been very hot, so we have been eating chicken salad or fish and lean meat and veg with some new potatoes, is this right? What can I give him and what should I avoid? My doctor said if hubby had not gone in he would have been dead in 6 months and I can't get that out of my mind, I am beside myself with worry. I want to look after him but at the same time give him an exciting diet. She said that he was NOT to monitor his glucose levels, but should I buy a monitor to see if his levels are dropping?

I have ordered a couple of diabetic cookbooks on the internet but would REALLY appreciate any help you guys can give me. I want to bring his levels down as quickly as possible - I don't want him to have a heart attack which is what the doctor said would have happened, sorry if I am babbling, but I don't know where to turn to, hubby is quite laid back about it, he says he trusts me to look after him, I am giving him the impression that I am not worried, but I am scared stiff!

bluestar

Rice does not agree with me

I am new to all this and each day is a challenge for me. I want to be on top of everything. I have been testing my BG levels and they have been around 6 and 7. This is due to lots of veg I have been eating (greans , brocolli etc). I have been including a bit of protein such as tinned fish or salmon.

The problem that I am having is when I introduce rice. Today I had a bit of rice and my BG levels went up to 14.9 which is really high. :(

A few days a go I had half a potato with lots of ved and my BG levels went up to 10.8. :eek:

I have not even tried bread yet - dont know what the outcome will be. :?

Intresting enough some time this week I went for exercise straight after having a meal (45 mins). I tested my Bg levels after 2 hours and my levels were 4.8. Do you think if I exercice after I had foods like rice etc my BG levels will be reduced. Is'nt that cheating. Is that the way to go about it.

I am trying to understand what these foods ae doing to me. I understand each individual is different. What is the best way to go about this.