Help my daughter is Type 1, but wont take her insulin!

EdieLou

I don't know which way to turn, my daughter was diagnosed Type 1 just before her 13th birthday 7 years ago. She has never managed her diabetes well and constantly runs too high for her meter to even give her reading. Her poor diabetes management was the cause of many arguments as a teenager. She ended up leaving home to live with her father when she was 15, but he never helped her with her diabetes. She has been in hospital at least 20 times with DKA over the years, but doesn't seem to care. She also suffers with mental health issues and depression, I believe she has borderline personality disorder, but it has never been diagnosed. She was in a bad place earlier this year and took 2 overdoses ending up in hospital. She refuses to accept any help from the mental health team. She is now 20 years old working full time and living on her own, but we are only 5 minutes away for support, and see her at least once a week. She seems to be in a good place mentally at the moment, however she has recently been told she has Diabetic Maculopathy. Even this has not shocked her into looking after her diabetes. I went with her to see her diabetic consultant recently and found out that whilst she is meant to have 4 injections a day, she only has maybe one every few days. And really could not see how she could improve this! I was shocked, I believe she is still in denial and is hoping that if she ignores it, it will go away. I asked about a pump, there is a year long waiting list, but she doesn't meet the criteria, but surely getting some insulin into her would be better than none, the consultant agreed. I cannot understand why the health professionals hear what she says, but will not offer any alternative to daily injections, they seem happy to watch her slowly kill herself. Any advise? Is hypnotherapy worth a try? Should I get her a pump privately? I want to help her but don't know which way to turn. Please can someone help me?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you asked her why she's not injecting her full amount of injections @EdieLou ?

I wondered if she had another issue stopping her apart from denial?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes I do understand your worry and fear for your daugther... but don´t know what you should do.. I think I would try to do the same as you are thinking of, but do you think she will use the pump then..?

EdieLou

yes I do understand your worry and fear for your daugther... but don´t know what you should do.. I think I would try to do the same as you are thinking of, but do you think she will use the punp then..?
She seems to think a pump will be better for her, as it's quicker and easier and less painful than injecting

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She seems to think a pump will be better for her, as it's quicker and easier and less painful than injecting
well if your daugther thinks that herself , then I think it is a good idea to get one for her...I think I would do the same for my daugther if I could in any way.., hopefully she is not avoiding it because she is afraid of gaining weight...

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She just makes excuses - doesn't have time, can't be bothered, it hurts!

Then that does sound like denial. Someone here once said "You can ignore diabetes, but it won't ignore you...."

I imagine you've tried talking to her about complications already, but sometimes something in particular will stick and have an effect.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well if your daugther thinks that herself , then I think it is a good idea to get one for her...I think I would do the same for my daugther if I could in any way.., hopefully she is not avoiding it because she is afraid of gaining weight...

@Freema A pump isn't an easy option and you have to qualify to get funding.

Reactions: Freema

EdieLou

Thanks x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be prepared to fund it myself to save my daughters life
i dont know the rules in UK, maybe the insuline is packed differently and only available with government support I don´t know about that, but I do feel your worry ad pain... and fear... and hope in some way you will get her helped

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Surely a pump is easier than injecting 4 times a day? I haven't heard of the iPort before, thanks I will forward her her the link to look into it.

Easier as in less injections but the pump doesn't do all the work. Boluses (meal doses) need to be calculated and the user needs a good understanding of carb counting and correction doses. There's also a higher risk of DKA if something should go,wrong because there's no long-acting insulin on board. So it does take commitment.

You've mentioned other issues you think your daughter might have. Her diabetes team may have a link with counsellors. If it was my daughter, I'd explore that first because if there was any underlying denial or problems, then they may still continue even if she does have a pump.

Diabetes denial is surprisingly common. Your daughter isn't alone.

EdieLou

Then that does sound like denial. Someone here once said "You can ignore diabetes, but it won't ignore you...."

I imagine you've tried talking to her about complications already, but sometimes something in particular will stick and have an effect.
I agree with you, sticking her head in the sand will not help! She is a very intelligent young lady and fully understands the complications. I thought having Diabetic Maculopathy would be the eye opener, but no, although she was very upset when she found out, it has not made her change her poor habits.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

iHs

Twice daily insulin exists and is ideal for teenagers as long as they remember to test bg levels about 4 to 5 times per day and eat some food at set meal times. I am so glad that I was able to get through my school years injecting insulin just once in the morning and testing my urine with Clinitest tabs for 2 years and then with Clinistix. ......heaven

Reactions: Freema and azure

EdieLou

Easier as in less injections but the pump doesn't do all the work. Boluses (meal doses) need to be calculated and the user needs a good understanding of carb counting and correction doses. There's also a higher risk of DKA if something should go,wrong because there's no long-acting insulin on board. So it does take commitment.

You've mentioned other issues you think your daughter might have. Her diabetes team may have a link with counsellors. If it was my daughter, I'd explore that first because if there was any underlying denial or problems, then they may still continue even if she does have a pump.

Diabetes denial is surprisingly common. Your daughter isn't alone.
She has been carb counting and doing correction doses for 7 years, (when she does take her insulin), so has a very good understanding of it, she just doesn't do it! She never has any long acting insulin on board anyway and her sugars are alway 'Hi'. She quite often has ketones, but over the last few months has learned how to get them down before she needs hospitalisation.

She was seeing the diabetic counsellor earlier this year after her overdoses,but said it was no help and stopped going! She was also seeing a phsychologist through most of her teen years. But as an adult says it didn't help.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh poor her, hope you do tell her how much you love her .... so sad she is not able to manage any better...so sad

Reactions: Struma