1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Help! Nerve pain

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by samowen268, Sep 9, 2017.

1. samowen268

samowen268 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey all, if you dont know me I am 18 and have been diabetic 13 years. For the last few years I neglected my diabetes and had frequent high bloods,
    I didn't even keep track of them! and I smoked and drank a lot of alcohol, since April I have completely stopped smoking, my bloods are now between 4 and 8 90% of the time, however I have never felt so low in myself, to add to this my legs and feet are now constantly burning/tingling and it hurts when I walk, even the smallest of distances! I'm really scared about this, I'm 18 and feel as though I will now have a life of consistent pain? My arms also go dead easy too, I feel like it's too late now to help myself? does anyone think this could be neuropathy and why it only started when I dramatically tightened my blood glucose control?
    I am growing more anxious thinking about it, any help is massively appreciated, thankyou ever so much in advance :(

2. AlaskaRon

AlaskaRon Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like Neuropathy to me. I have it and it can be caused by high blood sugar. Really sucks and I would get to a doctor and have it diagnosed. They can give you meds for the burning and pain but I would get in and get it looked at.

I think it should stop spreading in you keep your blood sugar under control.

• Like Like x 1
  3. samowen268

samowen268 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks I really hope so, it's starting to bring me down so much. The pain didn't start until I controlled my blood sugars, I thought there'd be more benefits but this is the worst I've ever felt :(

4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @samowen268 ,

You got a full thumbs up for controlling your diabetes & stopping the smoking.. :cool:

I empathise with the irony of things starting to give greif the minute you act responsibly to the condition..
    (In my case getting slapped with a macula oedema.)
    It will take time for stuff to settle.
    In the meantime keep in close contact with your HCPs, they can give a more personal 1to1 assessment on what's happening with your issue.

No one can/should prescribe you any medication online..

I wish you well!

5. wendy0804

wendy0804 Type 1 · Member

I too am in the same position. Ambled along with Type 1 quite happily for 30 years, not perfect but no cause for concern at my appointments HBA always good enough until a couple of years ago when DAFNE reared her ugly head. Changing my whole regime to accomodate this new method of control because I was told how old fashioned my ways were, my BG's have never been so bad and I have never felt so unwell. Now got abdominal neuropathy which is debilitating as I am in pain all the time with it. Sometimes wish the health care professionals would just leave well alone - new is not always better.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook