Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
Hello
Could anyone please tell me on a Basal/Bolus Insulin (Dafne) do I match the fast acting Insulin to the Total Carb or the carb that sugars???
It was my first day today and already Im stuck:oops:
My meal has a total of Carbohydrates 38.1g
Of which sugars 4.9
What do I do???
Dont want to take too much or too little Insulin

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You normally use total carbs. It's not normal to take into account sugars ( though Rapid insulin can't really cope with very high sugar meals and very low sugar high fibre meals can require split dosing but that is 'advanced' carb counting)

Has someone suggested a carb ratio ie how many units for each 10g of carbs?

At an insulin to carb ratio of 1 unit of insulin to 10g carb, I would have taken 4 units for that meal (slight rounding up) but it really depends on your carb ratio some use a lot more than 1: 10 some use a lot less.

At the start it is probably better to be on the safe side and be under rather than over.

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
You normally use total carbs. It's not normal to take into account sugars ( though Rapid insulin can't really cope with very high sugar meals and very low sugar high fibre meals can require split dosing but that is 'advanced' carb counting)

Has someone suggested a carb ratio ie how many units for each 10g of carbs?

At an insulin to carb ratio of 1 unit of insulin to 10g carb, I would have taken 4 units for that meal (slight rounding up) but it really depends on your carb ratio some use a lot more than 1: 10 some use a lot less.

At the start it is probably better to be on the safe side and be under rather than over.

Thank you so much, I was really panicking there, Ive taken 4 units and my levels have come down nicely :)

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@TooSweetForMe let me know how it goes, a couple of long term T1's have said they learnt something New.

The links on the page are better ones from here and the net. I'm trying to learn and its a bit hit and miss. If you find something worth adding, let me know.

Reactions: 2 people

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@TooSweetForMe let me know how it goes, a couple of long term T1's have said they learnt something New.

The links on the page are better ones from here and the net. I'm trying to learn and its a bit hit and miss. If you find something worth adding, let me know.

I certainly will. I'm getting as lot of use out of my calculator in here jack412, as I read the mmol/l numbers and convert them to the mg/dl numbers.