HELP please!

MING

Can my husband, newly diagnosed with type 2, drink Orange Squash with no added sugar ?

MING

ok ta. He has been drinking orange juice, about 4L a day and then he got tested and they said he's diabetic. We didnt know. People are saying that orange juice is the worst thing possible he could have picked - I don't understand the difference ?

pip

I think they mean Fresh Orange Juice as it tends to be very high in sugars, your orange squash with no added sugar should be ok, like said before - just check the label :)

timewarp

:roll: also watch out for smoothies and my friend was caught out by drinking a lot of flavoured water that stuff is full of sugar (most brands anyway)

MING

Can anybody recommend yoghurts ? He likes yoghurt - and my head is buzzing with low this and no that and none of the next thing.... :mrgreen:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Check the total carb content on the yogurts ,Ming ,the lower the better.

barge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
there is an irish yougurt that has not got added sugar and the shape ones that are supposed to keep you full are no added sugar.if your husband likes juice he should only drink one small glass aday.fresh whole oranges are better as with all fruit

Spiral

MING said:
Can anybody recommend yoghurts ? He likes yoghurt - and my head is buzzing with low this and no that and none of the next thing.... :mrgreen:

Greek yougurts are lovely. The different brands taste different, so you do need to shop around for flavour as well as carb content.

My regular breakfast is Lidl Greek yoghurt, a generous dash of double cream, a spoonful of flaked almonds (or ground if I'm out of flaked) and a small handful of berries - usually blueberries or raspberries.

If you cut out added sugar to anything, you tastebud do change after a while. I have found that things I used to enjoy are simply too sweet now. I have also found myself using a lot less salt.

And water is good :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rushy

I'm quite fond of 'Total 0%' 'Greek yogurt'
63124093.jpg

For a low sugar, Low fat diet it works for me!

Romola

Rushy - an excellent recommendation IMO.

For breakfast, I have some Alara muesli

http://www.alara.co.uk/index.php?action=products

mixed into some of this yoghurt plus a little unsweetened soya to soften it up. A few blueberries added. Glass of tomato juice and a cup of green tea.

No probs with bg 2 hours later. I try to do some exercise too - but nothing drastic.

It is also very delicious.

bumblejoy

Hi
I find Muller Light the best as they don't affect my glucose levels. I find shape yoghurts too sweet as they are loaded with sweetner. I also love goats yoghurt (natural) and often sieve some fruit into a it which is yummy.
Hope this helps and good luck with his new diet.

MING

He got Shape. We see the doc tomorrow so its early days yet , need to get ourselves organised! :mrgreen: