Help re-apply for licence

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Hi guys. I do hope everyone is keeping well.

18months ago I had to surrender my licence because of some pretty bad hypos I was having (It was only a provisional.) I spoke with my DSN and consultant last week and was advised I should be able to now re-apply for my licence.

I've ordered the application form for a driving licence and it came this morning. What else do I need to send a long with this ? Do I need to send a new photo (Old licence would now be out of date) and would there be any charge ? DVLA and GVT Website are as much use as 1 unit of insulin with 15 pizza , any help would really be appreciated.

Many Thanks

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Depending upon how old your old photo was on the previous licence it might be an idea to send in an updated version.

If reapplying for a full licence owing to diabetes there is usually no charge; however, I'm not sure about reapplying for a provisional - do a google search as there's bound to be something out there (probably well hidden on the DVLA site!).

I suspect the information you seek is buried (in ultra fine print, and uber-convoluted language) somewhere in the D1 pack they've sent you.

Good luck!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Fetchmeacoffee, the DVLA will likely write to you again if they require additional information, but why don't you ring them and ask if you want to speed-up your application, I've always found the DVLA to be helpful on the phone (although it does take while to get through).

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi guys. I do hope everyone is keeping well.

18months ago I had to surrender my licence because of some pretty bad hypos I was having (It was only a provisional.) I spoke with my DSN and consultant last week and was advised I should be able to now re-apply for my licence.

I've ordered the application form for a driving licence and it came this morning. What else do I need to send a long with this ? Do I need to send a new photo (Old licence would now be out of date) and would there be any charge ? DVLA and GVT Website are as much use as 1 unit of insulin with 15 pizza , any help would really be appreciated.

Many Thanks
You need to fill in this form https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/diab1-confidential-medical-information
Make sure you read it properly and tick the right boxes.
Only give the information asked for nothing more nothing less.
Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people