Help Required

Snakle

Hi all,

I have now had Type 1 Diabetes for 9 years.

I must admit I am not that good at checking my levels go mainly on how I feel. My Diabetic Nurse cannot believe I do not check my levels, as whenever I have my check-ups every 6 months I am always bang on where I am expected to be.

What I require help with is .... thats what I need help with.

I have managed to control my mood swings, stay healthy and generally keep everything in check. But lately I have been feeling how can i say dis-interested with life. Ever since I have been diagnosed with diabetes I have become a shadow of my former self. I have had numerous jobs, am in debt and I seem to be pushing my dear loving wife away.

I am sure it is some sort of depression or along those lines, I just can't put my finger on any one thing but I am slowly but surely trying my hardest to isolate myself from life and those around me.

Please help or point in the direction

at my wits end.

Snakle

Hi Shygirl

Thanks for the reply, In response to your question "Am I sad about anything in particular?"

I feel down not really sad about any one thing, but about a number of things. Job, Life in General, Home life and what this is doing to my wife and family, I realise I may need professional help but don't want to go down that path if it isn't going to help, the last thing I need is more stress as I work in a highly stressful environment being a IT consultant.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Snackle
You actually seem to be doing pretty well.
Look on the Diabetes UK website and see if you can locate one of their groups near you. Talking face to face with someone in the same position may show you a way.
Hana

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Snakle,

it may be of no help at all but in my experience, the happiest people are also the people most in control of their own lives, with the freedom that it brings. Whether that means control in a work environment, control of their social lives or control over an illness like diabetes, the fundamentals seem much the same - control of your own destiny and direction.
Diabetes has a nasty habit of robbing us of what we might perceive as the ability to control our own health because we type 1s need to be pretty fastidious about our diet and medication. Its almost as if we've ceded control of something as central to our lives as what we eat and drink to our practical concerns about blood glucose levels.
Maybe if you began regular bg testing, that would at least help you exercise some control over what diabetes does to your body?

All the best,

fergus

africandoll

Hi,
I think you should speak to your doctor depression is highest with people that have diabetes.
Good luck and hope it all works out for you.