HELP TO INCREASE INSULIN SENSITIVITY??

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
anyone got any advice or tips no matter how small or big...to help increase insulin sensitivity?? :?:

LizzieP

Hi Megan,

One word...Exercise! :shock: That does it for me. I need half my usual Novorapid dose with my breakfast if I am going to walk briskly to work. I have never excercised so much in my life since diagnosis and I love it. Similary, when I walk home from work in the evenings, I need less Novorapid with my evening meal...And my morning fasting levels are also better if I've had my evening walk. Hope this helps!

NickW

- Eat less carbohydrate
- Exercise more
- Control your blood glucose more tightly

Those are the three common ones - obviously they all depend on where you're starting off (if you already eat VLCD then number 1 isn't an option; likewise an Ironman athlete probably doesn't need more exercise!)

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
NickW has it right. Exercise doesn't just reduce insulin needs immediatley after exercise, but for days afterwards.

Another idea, posted on here some time ago, is to eat almonds. I've been eating them daily with breakfast (my most insulin resistant time of day) for a few weeks and it seems to be making a difference, though it's hard to know whether it really is the almonds or just one of those variations that happen from time to time. Worth a try though. Unless you're allergic, of course :roll:

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I thought insulin sensitivity was a type 2 problem?

Lorna

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Correct. It is a decreased response to Insulin which is usually found early in Type 2 Diabetes.
Not sure if the OP is a T1 asking about it, or a T2 ?

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Megan

Sorry to hear you are experiencing insulin resistance. :cry:

Yes guys & gals Type 1 Insulin Dependant Diabetics (IDD) can also get insulin resistance and you end up with what is known as “Double Diabetes” - Type 1 & Type 2 - what a bummer! :(

Being insulin resistant in Type 1 Diabetes means that the bodies cells, principally muscle and liver cells become resistant to the effects of the exogenous insulin being injected.
It requires more insulin to achieve the same effect so a Type 1 Diabetic is left with a net loss of "effective insulin."
It's not necessarily a permanent thing, it depends on a lot of co-existing factors, but usually it means there are less insulin receptors on the surfaces of the bodies cells in response to high doses of exogenous insulin being injected.
The duration of Type 1 can also be a factor due to the exogenous insulin being injected over a longer period of time. A percentage of Type 1 IDD’s will develop insulin resistance - that’s not to say every Type 1 whose had diabetes for a long time will get insulin resistance.
There may be other influencing factors including for example: genetics & environmental and insulin resistance can be due to an immunological response to the type of insulin being used.

Using less insulin decreases insulin resistance combined with eating less carbohydrates, exercising and losing weight can help. Fat has the lowest percentage of insulin receptors so the more fat cells you have the higher your insulin resistance.

Metformin is often initiated as it does increase insulin sensitivity in Type 1 IDD using insulin.

Exercise, exercise & more exercise.

Reducing carbohydrates in order to take insulin that optimises blood glucose levels rather than insulin that feeds the carbohydrate.

Choice of insulin – sometimes an insulin change whether to animal insulin, human synthetic insulin, GM synthetic analogues or a combination of insulin types can help.

Getting cholesterol & lipids under control can increase insulin sensitivity.

Reducing insulin dose – what can happen and the understanding of the exact mechanism is lost on me – however in response to increased Blood Glucose (BG) levels the immediate response is ooh must increase insulin dose – what happens then is body thinks oh no more insulin circulating & the liver dumps glucose and thus increased BG levels again & a cycle of increased BG levels, increasing insulin dose & so it continues happens. Insulin sensitivity can sometimes be increased by actually reducing insulin doses – might sound strange but it can help.

If insulin resistance is persistent some individuals find changing to an insulin pump combined with all the above increases sensitivity as a lowered dose of continuous insulin delivery becomes more effective than individual multiple daily injections.

Megan I note from one of your other postings that you are also on Thyroxin.
Hypothyroidism whilst a co existing disease associated with diabetes is often misunderstood. Many individuals taking Thyroxin, whilst their blood levels of Thyroxin might indicate “normal levels” the user frequently feels unwell and not right and only feels better on a much higher dosage of Thyroxin.
There is a complex relationship between increasing insulin sensitivity in order to get the Thyroxin better utilised by the body and thus increasing the effectiveness of both the insulin & Thyroxin – but you also need enough Thyroxin to help metabolise the insulin more effectively in the first place - hope that make sense.

best wishes

Txx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
At last, a T1 with ALL the information. Thank you kewgirl. :D

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cugila – I wouldn’t go as far as to say I have all the information but…..! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do think the original posting shows just how complex diabetes is and I believe "we" as in all of us living with diabetes regardless of what type it is, as well as the health professionals and boffins are all still learning what is a very complex disorder with many co-existing factors.
In theory the management of diabetes looks very straight forward and implies that as long as a “diabetic” does x, y, z, he/she will be fine &that diabetes is a very simple disease to deal with but I think/know/feel that in reality for a large percentage of the "diabetic population" it is a lot more complex that that.

I should also like to add that Type 1 Insulin Resistance is not the same as the insulin resistance a diabetic may experience when for example we have infection, or going through puberty, or premenstrual or in the mornings (have I forgotten anything?!)
I would go as far as to say Insulin Resistance in Type 1 Diabetics is almost a disorder on its own.

Txx

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
hi....I am type 1 for 20 years....DAFNE......metformin..thyroxine 175.....

thanks kewgirl for all your information....well put.....over the years we gather so much infor...to relay it and quite so well is great...

I got used to not being listened too or taken seriously by my diabetes dr and nurse....but thats a whole other story!!!

I'm finding things quite difficult and exhausting at the moment...I hate to complain about it...but this is the place you can do that!!

am on my 5th day of a new adapted diet regime..... :shock: :D and extra exercise!....trying to make the most of the times of the day I have the energy.....
heres to day 6 and and and and.......

after all regular daily life must go on too!!

thanks all x

LizzieP

I thought insulin sensitivity was a type 2 problem?

I am most definitely a Type 1. If I am not going to be doing my 3.5 mile walk after breakfast, then I need more insulin. If I'm doing my walk after breakfast, then I need half as much as without the walk. It's that simple for me. I was told on a DAFNE -style course that you need to adjust your insulin according to how active you are going to be. I had imagined that this was because the activity was making you more sensitive to your injected insulin. :| So, I am more sensitive to insulin whenever I am active.

Top Cat

kewgirl said:
Hypothyroidism whilst a co existing disease associated with diabetes is often misunderstood. Many individuals taking Thyroxin, whilst their blood levels of Thyroxin might indicate “normal levels” the user frequently feels unwell and not right and only feels better on a much higher dosage of Thyroxin.
There is a complex relationship between increasing insulin sensitivity in order to get the Thyroxin better utilised by the body and thus increasing the effectiveness of both the insulin & Thyroxin – but you also need enough Thyroxin to help metabolise the insulin more effectively in the first place - hope that make sense.

THIS IS ME!! Feel shaky and unwell most of the time - due to see my consultant next week and wondered if you had/knew of any evidence I can print off about this to take with me?? If my Throxin levels are normal I can't see him putting it up just cos I tell him to!! (Although I can be very persuasive when I want to!!! )