HELP TO PICK PUMP PLEASE

hazey276

Hi, saw the DSN the other day and after lots of thinking and consultation i've decided to go for a pump. I was given 3 pumps to pick from, they are: "Animas 2020" "Paradigm Veo" and "Accu Chek Combo." Although she wasn't biased she didn't seem too keen on the Combo because it had what looked like a mobile phone to set it. Obviously I know nothing about any of them so i'm looking for some guidance. the only other things i need to consider is that i do some sports like running and Aikido. Many thanks to Marmite-Lover who has already replied!!

PLEASE, PLEASE help me with some guidance. I have already posted this under an old topic but realised it may have got missed!!!!! :) :)

Any help would be extremely grateful!!!!

Hazey

hazey276

ihs, so sorry i'm that garbage on computers i don't know how to do personal messages and still don't. Sorry!!!

Hazey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iHs

Hazey

All pumps are good but you need to have one that you are able to navigate around ok and one that has insulin cartridges that are easy to fill without air bubbles together with a good range of infusion sets.

The Veo pump is very good so if your dsn has good knowledge of it and can give you any help that you need person to person, then go for that one.

Have a look at Medtronics Pump School where you can press all buttons on the pump and get a feel for navigating around the menu :) https://pumpschool.minimed.com/index.tpl

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's worth looking at the features on a comparison chart like this one which applies to models available in the UK
http://www.ipagscotland.org/images/pdf/ ... ompare.pdf
(note, you need to look at the second page to get all the headings)
Even so though things that you think will be important aren't always so important in practice. When I was choosing mine, I thought that waterproof would be important because I swim daily in Summer, then I was told that the French authorities had advised against using any pump in the water, so I went with the medtronic so that everyone on my course would have the same pump. Since then I've discovered that I always drop whilst swimming so there is no problem.. I don't need a pump in the water.
On the other hand I have no remote for my pump which is normally fine, one less thing to lose but it does mean that wearing a dress it is difficult to bolus.
I only use about 25u of insulin a day so one bonus of the medtronic for me is the smaller reservoir, I can fill it and it lasts for 6 days

hazey276

Went to see the dietician today and we got talking about my eratic bloods. She asked what pump i'd opted for and told her the Paradigm Veo. :) :) She asked how quickly i would like to get my pump and i replied obviously "yesterday please." She couldn't oblige but said if i could come next Tuesday at 9.30 i could have it. :shock: :shock: Well you could have knocked me down with a feather. So guys by this time next week i'll be pumping. Rather rapid but i'm over the moon!!!!

Hazey