Help - what is a "lifestyle" change?

davef

I was diagnosed with type 2 about 3 years ago and have 'progressed' from control by diet (or lack of it) to maximum dose of metformin. I worry that I am not taking my condition seriously enough and keep reading about "lifestyle" changes necessary to live with the problem. I am only ever sure that I have my blood sugar under control when I get tested at the GPs surgery. My last HBA1C was 7.1 which has come down from over 8. I don't test regularly because they won't prescribe the test strips so I buy a few sometimes.I haven't changed my lifestyle to a great extent and it does concern me although I try to be careful with sugar content of foods. I know that I don't exercise enough. Can anyone give me some advice and encouragement?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Best advice Dave is to read some of the excellent advice on this forum!Have a browse through the whole thing and the "old"forum as well and you will pick up a lot of good ,common sense advice from well seasoned diabetics who have learned the hard way what works and what doesn't.Every one is different there isn't a "one size fits all" in diabetes.I would suggest however that you start testing more regularly to see which foods send your BS up and see a dietitian.Get into exercising ,start slow and build up.Once you get your head round it it can be a challenge,you against the diabetes.......go on you know you can do it!:D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Just to add to Sue's comments, your HBA1C dropping from 8 to 7.1 is pretty impressive, so keep on doing what you have been doing.

When it comes to getting test strips, these are available on prescription to all diabetics who receive medication for the condition. If your GP practice refuses they are in serious breach of General Medical Council guidelines so just mention that fact and stand your ground.

davef

Thanks for the support. I don't know how I managed to get the HBA1C down so much - it might be that I have cut down on chocolate and sweets (my weakness). I will take heart from the comments and make a real effort.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
A thought Dave,try substituting chocs and sweets for nuts and dried fruit.(unless you are alergic to nuts of course!!)The dried fruit gives you the sweetness and the nuts give you good oils and fill you up(just don't overdo the dried fruits,they are still sugar of a kind)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
While dried fruit adds sweetness they are very high in sugars and other carbs., and so most Types 2s will find they cause blood sugar spikes.
The lifestyle choice many of us adopt it to restrict carbohydrates (not just obvious added sugar) - and there is a lot of advice how to do this as option other than increasing drugs over time.
There are also plenty of sites offering low carb or keto recipes and food swaps - it is not just about giving up foods but discovering the delight of guilt free fats, butter, double cream, full fat Greek yogurt and never having to calorie count again.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
While dried fruit adds sweetness they are very high in sugars and other carbs., and so most Types 2s will find they cause blood sugar spikes.
The lifestyle choice many of us adopt it to restrict carbohydrates (not just obvious added sugar) - and there is a lot of advice how to do this as option other than increasing drugs over time.
There are also plenty of sites offering low carb or keto recipes and food swaps - it is not just about giving up foods but discovering the delight of guilt free fats, butter, double cream, full fat Greek yogurt and never having to calorie count again.
The chappie has not posted anything since 2008, that was about frozen shoulder. has not been active on the forum for 14 yrs. I wonder how the poster is doing.