Help with Metformin

MadMat

I've been doing a lot of reading of these forums over the last few days, and remember seeing a post about a brand of Metformin that was designed to be absorbed in the stomach rather than the intestine to avoid the side effects, but can't find it again!!!

Strangely searching with the terms metformin and stomach brings up quite a lot of results :)

Wondered if anyone knew the brand - I'd like to ask my nurse if I can try it, I couldn't tolerate the standard or SR version, but would really like to get off Gliclazide!

TIA

Mat

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Mat, I'll 'bump' your post up the forum in the hope that someone may reply with the name.

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been doing a lot of reading of these forums over the last few days, and remember seeing a post about a brand of Metformin that was designed to be absorbed in the stomach rather than the intestine to avoid the side effects, but can't find it again!!!

Strangely searching with the terms metformin and stomach brings up quite a lot of results :)

Wondered if anyone knew the brand - I'd like to ask my nurse if I can try it, I couldn't tolerate the standard or SR version, but would really like to get off Gliclazide!

TIA

Mat
Hi Mat, I also had trouble with metformin SR upsetting my stomach for the last 4 years.Now I take it in with my meals instead of after and the problem has gone.

Chris

MadMat

I've tried that, also tried building the dose up gradually over several weeks, nothing works, seems I just can't tolerate it. And having reduced control of your digestive tract is not good for a taxi driver!

Mat