Help with Ox tail soup

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi, I recently got hold of some reduced price Ox tail and fancy making a soup with it. From what I have read I was thinking of cooking it in the slow cooker with beef stock, maybe a tin of chopped toms, some red wine.... but not sure what veg to use. From the recipes I've seen I was thinking maybe celery and onion. My question is what do you suggest? I've never used Ox tail before, all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Red wine, Celery and onion, bit of garlic, little bit of red pepper, tinned tomatoes all good. It will need a very long cook and will produce quite a lot of fat but its worth it. In the days before diagnosis I would have put some dumplings in too!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can add a little celeriac too I find ox tail best made a day in advance it does need to cook slowly for a long time so it should be fine in a slow cooker .If you put it in the fridge overnight the fat will set on the top so that when you re-heat it you can leave as much fat on as you like but dont be afraid of the fat cause it is all good stuff and not been messed about in any way :D Enjoy
CAROL

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Thank you for you help guys. It now defrosting, then tomorrow im ready to go, I've got tinned toms, beef stock, red pepper, celeriac and red wine. I'll let you know how it tastes :)

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well it has been cooking all day, ive just pulled the meat apart, the cat loved that bit :) I bet he was really upset the other cat was out! Just letting it cool down now. I'll skim most of the fat off then portion it up and put the extras in the freezer.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Lenny3 said:
Well it has been cooking all day, ive just pulled the meat apart, the cat loved that bit :) I bet he was really upset the other cat was out! Just letting it cool down now. I'll skim most of the fat off then portion it up and put the extras in the freezer.

Did the cat get the meat, or the bones?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
He got the meat, wouldn't give him cooked bones, too dangerous.

I haven't tried it yet, I actually had a treat of roast lamb for tea, with roasted celeriac, butternut squash and sweet potato, yummy. The soup is for lunches atwork this week.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good grief, any dog of mine wouldn't get as much as a sniff if that was me, the meat is the whole point of making it for me!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
He only got some of the more gristly bits.