Help with the most irritating rash

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Here is my problem, and it started months ago. At first I thought it had something to do with my wedding ring, (No not the wife or being married) I got an itching rash in between my finger on left hand, I do sometimes have eczema that comes and goes but normally on my arm and I can go months without it flaring up. Normally put some hydrocortisone on it and it goes, but this is having none of it and now seems to have spread too in between all the fingers on my left hand and left armpit it is now appearing on my face just above my eyelids and to the sides of my face. In appearance on my finger, the skin is broken red and itchy, under my armpit red and itchy and on my face it appears as dry skin and itchy. I have been the Doctors on numerous occasions and he has tried all the usual creams and tablets for what he thought it may be? Candida, eczema, etc.
But this is now seriously getting on my wick, just over the last few days it's flared up something awful and driving me nuts, the latest efforts by my doctor is to try putting Daktacort Hydrocortisone and miconazole on until the tube runs out then miconazole nitrate until thats gone, I am also putting E45 cream on it too as a barrier cream. I am getting sick to the back teeth now of putting all these creams on and getting nowhere, Now I know us folks are not Doctors or dermatologist, so am asking has anybody had the same issues as described above? Any clue would be welcome, as I don't seem to be able to nail it on internet. And why is it predominantly on my left side? Hand, arm pit, my right hand is fine apart from my face which is both sides? That is what puzzles more than anything I aint never seen a one sided rash??????

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
As it's a one sided thing, I'd be thinking firstly about whether you're sitting, driving or working in a drafty environment. Having ruled that out, as this seems to only be affecting one side then I'd be thinking it has some kind of neurological connection.

Google - UNILATERAL SKIN RASH - it seems to be nerve related which would tie in with diabetic neuropathy.
Also try - NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS WITH SKIN RASH

:thumbup: Good Luck!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Roy, as your gp has just about tried everything he can why not ask him to refer you to the Dermatology clinic at your local hospital, my oldest gets bad eczema occasionally but this normally responds to the hydrocortisone cream.

Just one more thing, you haven't changed your brand of soap, washing powder, deodorant etc?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Roy,

The only thing I can think of is shingles but you do not mention any pain.

As Nigel says, ask to be referred to a Consultant Dermatologist.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
My GP said he was going to refer me to dermatologist last time I went, but then decided on more cream and give it a couple of months.
Noblhead No I have not done anything or changed anything, I know Biological soap kicks off my eczema, I did think of shingles but then as catherinechrub mentions I have no associated pain, the strangest thing is that it subsides then comes back but never going. It has only been on my hand and slight under my arm up to now, but this last bout has been the worst, on my face its almost as if I have chapped skin, I am not exposed to any drafts that I know. I could say I am under more stress, as work have informed me that I could be getting made redundant again, and more than likely will, this will be the 3rd Job in 4 years I have been laid off at. So have all that stress again. I know one thing, between that and this rash. It's making me feel wretched, I feel tired and worn out again, the first time in months, and generally a lack of interest. Yet my diet is the same and my BG is low, like most times in life just when you're getting on top of things, something comes along and kicks you in the teeth. I shall tell my GP I want to be referred to dermatologist when I go back and see him, which by the way this thing is going wont be too long.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Reading on from the link GraceK posted it has all the symptoms of Seborrheic Dermatitis,
The cause of seborrheic dermatitis is unclear, though it is has been linked to genetic or environmental factors. Pityrosporum ovale, a species of yeast normally found in hair follicles, has been proposed as one possible causative factor. A high fat dietand alcohol ingestion are thought to play some role. Other possible risk factors include:
stress and fatigue
weather extremes (e. g. hot, humid weather or cold, dry weather)
oily skin
infrequent shampoos
obesity
Parkinson's disease
AIDS
use of drying lotions that contain alcohol
other skin disorders (for example acne, rosacea, or psoriasis)
Mild forms of the disorder may be asymptomatic. Symptoms also disappear and reappear, and vary in intensity over time. When scaling is present, it may be accompanied by itching that can lead to secondary infection.

But then the Hydrocortisone cream is having no effect, which according to the article is the recommended treatment.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Any chance it's a fungal infection?

Nikkig

I don't know if this will help, but I too have skin problems which is thought to be psoriasis when they give me the creams, I put them on at night and cover the areas with cling film, apparently it increases the toxicity of the creams, you can only do it for a few nights but it works for me! Don't forget to continue after the rash has gone for a while and decrease the frequency of using the cream gradually. Going to bed with cling film wrapped round you isn't very sexy (or so OH tells me) but its worth it if it works! Good luck.