help with understanding insulin types

sugarfree2

hi iam type 1 for just over a year now i use novomix i dont seem to have any problems with it inject twice a day and keep a regular bg level 7 in morning and approx5 to 6 in evening does go high after eating but not for long i get the impression that not many people like this type of insulin so i wondered if iam doing something wrong only hypo ed three times in a year where had to use recovery most times small hypos where just dropped below 4 can youexplain these terms for me please basal humalog levermir lantus and bolus please also has anyone stayed on novomix by the way i am 47 years old and 14stone just found out cereals not very good to eat had some rice cripies and bg went to 16

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi,
i was on novomix at first and had lots of highs and lows to begged to try basal bolus, this is where you have a long acting insulin once or twice daily(basal) these are usually lantus or levemir and (bolus) which is taken with food and short acting which can be humalog/novorapid, personally basal bolus has suited me so much better but if you are well and getting good numbers and your hba1c is good i wouldnt worry about changing regimes, have a good look around the forum and keep asking the questions :D

gbtyke

My son was diagnosed 6 years ago and was put on Novomix 30 and has stayed on it. He accepts the advice given him and is happy with his control.

I was diagnosed in Feb this year initially as Type 2 so went straight on Low Carb. Didn't like results and managed to get myself reclassified Type 1. Was put on Novomix 30 and achieved HbA1c of 5.1 but after 3 months asked to try Levimir + Novorapid as still not happy with some of the swings. Results not a lot better - still get swings - injections up from 2/3 per day to 5/6 per day and plagued by what could be early morning liver dumps.

Changing in theory does give you the option of better correction but does need greater input from you I feel.

Sorry if I've not really answered the original post re explanation of insulin types but generally fall in to class of mixed ( Novomix), Rapid acting (Novorapid etc.) and Basal (Levimir etc).