1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Help with weight loss?

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by briopio, May 17, 2019.

1. briopio

briopio · Newbie

Hey guys,

I’ve been type 1 diabetic for 15 years, having been diagnosed at the age of 8. I’ve always struggled with my weight but have really been keen to lose a stone and a half lately but I’m struggling to find something that works. I’m a really fussy eater which doesn’t help my cause! I’ve tried low calorie and once I hit my current weight, it’s just completely stopped. I still have a stone I’d like to drop but I don’t know how. I’ve looked into low carb but I have this paranoia in my head because there could be a lot of calories involved in a low carb pizza for example. I’m not sure what the best way forward is but I’m hoping someone can help guide me on the right direction.

Many thanks,
    Bri

2. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have the same issue and I asked to be put on Metformin to help me reduce my insulin intake......its creating more hypos so after adjustment I will need less.....yet to see a drop in weight just yet though......maybe something like that could be asked about....

I was also advised to change my target range on my pump from 5.5 - 5.5 to 5.5 - 7.5 as every time I tested my pump was offering up a correction leading to more insulin, all be it small amounts, but baby steps...

how fussy are you?

what things do you eat?

I think a low carb diet means that you wouldn't be having pizza, as opposed to looking for a low carb alternative....;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. briopio

briopio · Newbie

It’s difficult! Hopefully we will find the little changes that work for us soon

I’m reeeally bad at eating vegetables, I’m my own worst enemy honestly! ‍♀️ And I don’t like seafood either, and I hate eggs... aka a lot of stuff that’s low carb and potentially hugh protein! I feel like I’m doomed by my own tastebuds!

4. Heathero

Heathero Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Since adulthood always weighed more than friends build larger but now in 50s exercising more/ eating no more and avoiding many foods carbs re putting on weight . Sometimes no breakfast exercise classes check blood reduce insulin then go hypo need glucose have light lunch late 2 pm ish and then high. Hoping use of libre will help. So hard to loose weight !

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook