Help!

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Since I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in early december, it's been a struggle and still is, I ask myself why me, why was it me who had to have it. I have very very very little family history with diabetes so this has also asked me why I had to have it. Surely with no family history it can't be diabetes? But it is!

Another thing is since ive been diagnosed, my mind is going into overtime, I keep on thinking the worse all the time about going blind, kidney failure, ampulation of the feet etc and it is really getting to me, also when I have a slight pain in the leg etc or my feet go cold and my hands go cold etc I also think to myself oh no it's the diabetes :(.

Also since diagnosis, I haven't been for a checkup so have the full check up on my blood pressure, cholosterol etc and this is yet another concern.

Can anyone settle my nerves and answer my questions and just give me some comforting advice and tips please.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You have it......so now you have to get to grips with it. I have seen some of your other questions and I think you are getting answers. Not exactly sure what your specific question is here though ?

Anyway, the more you agonise and worry about this the more you will get yourself stressed to hell and that in itself is not a good thing, it will elevate your Bg levels. Not good ! Think positive thoughts, not what am I going to do ? Make a pact with yourself that Diabetes is just a challenge, something to be dealt with. Let it know who is boss !

You need to take in all that is here and look around at the experiences of others who have had Diabetes long term without any complications. The success stories. They are successes because they have made a decision to control their Diabetes and not let it 'rule their World.' That is what you have to do.

I have lost count of the times that we tell people......not everything is down to Diabetes. Sometimes yes, but not every twinge, every ache is connected.

Just do the best that you can, ask questions when you need to and enjoy the help and support of the folks on this Forum. We have ALL been where you are, it can and does get better. Chill out ! :D

C

catherinecherub

Try this topic Matthew, it may help.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16202&p=161314&hilit=roller+coaster#p161314

We all wonder ,"why me?" Turn it on it's head, "why not me?"

Your diabetes is not going away and you need to accept that this is how it is going to be. We have one life and there is no rehearsal. Loads of people on here live life to the full and do not let their diabetes stop them. Once you accept it then things will improve and you will get to grips with it.

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol
Matthew1990 said:
Since I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in early december, it's been a struggle and still is, I ask myself why me, why was it me who had to have it. I have very very very little family history with diabetes so this has also asked me why I had to have it. Surely with no family history it can't be diabetes? But it is!

Another thing is since ive been diagnosed, my mind is going into overtime, I keep on thinking the worse all the time about going blind, kidney failure, ampulation of the feet etc and it is really getting to me, also when I have a slight pain in the leg etc or my feet go cold and my hands go cold etc I also think to myself oh no it's the diabetes :(.

Also since diagnosis, I haven't been for a checkup so have the full check up on my blood pressure, cholosterol etc and this is yet another concern.

Can anyone settle my nerves and answer my questions and just give me some comforting advice and tips please.

Hi Matthew1990

Dont give up i know your type 1 and im type 2 i think at the time we all say why me, when i was diagnosed i went in to near shock but after a few nites in icu and hdu i was thinking what the diabetic nurse and consultant told me it just somtime happens it can be caused by many diffrant things illness lifstyle or genetic blood line but i think most of its my fault drinking and eating wrong things skipping meals working to hard basicaly some weeks i would be driving over 20hrs a day with just drinks like redbull relentless and meals in fastfood places so i told my self im 32 for (deleted) sake what am i doing to my self eating rubish smoking im asmatic ive got to sort my life out and 1 of my goals i set my self was to seriously cut down or stop the insulin and with a few weeks of habit changing ive been cut down on my insulin dose by diabetic nurse now your probaly need it if your type 1, basicaly life is 1 long test for some i lost a part of my male anatomy in 2009 used to have 2 now 1 but i dont let it get me or my other probs down because i think i have so much to live for and so does everybody else its life all you can do is try.

I look at it this way now if i dont get my health under control i would lose my job :cry: = no money no vehicles no foreign holidays and partys :mrgreen: .

All The Best Jim

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya matthew,
sorry to hear you arent coping too well, its a nasty shock isnt it?
im 38 and since my early 20s i seem to get a new long term illness every coupl of yrs, hyperthyroid, hyperthyroid, asthma,diabetes, m.e, menieres disease, ibs,irregular heart beat, chronic sinusitus due to a pellet injury and arthritis inbetween i had anxiety, panic attacks, depression and agorophobia which i had for 5 yrs,
i often ask why me and then i think of my daughter best friend who passed away age 15 of cancer, my cousin age 22 of a fit and i count my blessings... yes ive things wrong with me and my lifes hard but ive 3 children, 3 dogs a horse and IM ALIVE.. i will not let these little blips beat me,
chin up n positive thinking :D

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Thanks guys, you have helped alot and this forum is great!

I will fight the fight and won't be beaten!

jaykay

Very cool and righteous answer Matthew 8) :D We all need a little help from our friends now and then and this is a good and supportive place to come. Some days it might feel like 1 step forward and 2 steps back but there will be other days of complete joy. Hang on to those and you'll do fine.