1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Help!

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by cruiksl, Apr 21, 2022.

1. cruiksl

cruiksl Type 2 · Member

I've been in denial about having type 2 diabetes probably since covid. Tomorrow I'm taking back control but I don't know where to start and just feel overwhelmed.

I'm tired of being tired and feeling rubbish. My blood sugars are way to high so the test kit will be out tomorrow and will be checking them on a daily basis.

Any tips on getting them down? Im addicted to sugar so know that's going to be hard.

Many thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello and welcome @cruiksl

Well many of us live in a state of denial for a while before starting to deal with it.

As a starting point can I ask if you are on medication? If you are on medication you need to be careful with changes to your diet.

If you are not on any medication (except possibly metformin) my suggestion is to cut down on all carbs- not just sugar. I describe myself as a carboholic and also an all or nothing person. I have found it easier to go very low carb than just low carb. I suffer fewer cravings when very low carb.

The place to start as you seem to know is with your meter. The fasting one in the morning is likely to be the last to come down.
    If you test before a meal and 2 hours after the start of a meal you are looking for a rise in your blood sugars of less than 2. Any more and it indicates that the meal has more carbs than your body can tolerate. So this helps you work out the amount of carbs your body can tolerate.

Good luck and welcome :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

You started well by coming onto this forum IMO. A good place to start is the success stories, which you can browse at your leisure. It will give you an idea of what others have done to get their diabetes back into control/
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/

Welcome to the club no one wants to join. You are not alone in your voyage down De Nile,

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook