Help

Saracos

Hi
When I was pregnant with my second child I was found to have gestational diabetes when I was 28 weeks. I was injecting insulin 4 times a day. Once the baby was born at the six week review it seemed to have corrected itself. Now a year on I've started to experience some concerning symptoms again such as dry mouth/throat, increased hunger, and increased need to go to the toilet as well as extreme tiredness. I have been to the doctors and had the Hab1c test and this has come back as 6.1so the doctors are not concerned and don't think there is anything wrong with me. I feel they haven't taken my concerns seriously. I have read the nice guidelines and understand that the cut off point is 6.5. I was wondering if you could advise me and should I be concerned or just accept what the doctors say? Your help and advice would be gladly received

Dark Horse

WHO guidance: High risk of diabetes HbA1c 42-47 mmol/mol (6.0 – 6.4%)
Provide intensive lifestyle advice. Warn patients to report symptoms of diabetes. Monitor HbA1c annually.

In other words, follow healthy diet and exercise guidelines.

You didn't say how long you had been having symptoms for - remember that HbA1c reflects glucose levels over the last 12 weeks. If your symptoms only appeared in the last month, for example, the HbA1c should be repeated in another 1-2 months.