help

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi i have igt and have just been for my six month check up my fasting blood level was 7.8 which keeps rising also i have sugar in my urine yet again . my nurse asked me when i last ate which was atleast 2 hours before she did a finger prick test it was 11.2. i said that i am never hungry and that i am always tired. she took a blood test please help

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jacko,

Are you type 1 or 2? What meds are you on?

I don't suppose the nurse asked you what you had eaten 2 hours earlier, but that is the all important thing for you because that is what made your levels 11.2 at that moment in time. If you give us a breakdown of a typical day's food intake we may be able to help you.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you need to find out what the blood test (HBa1C?) result is. Normally you have the blood test up to 2 weeks before the consultation so you can discuss all the results in particular the Hba1C at the consultation

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi my typical day intake is scrambled eggs for breakfast. lunch i have a salad. and my evening meal normally is meat or chicken with either rice or sometimes a hand full of chips . i also train a lot because i play a lot of racketball tournaments . aslo yes my bloods was taken two weeks before on a fasting blood test with a level of 7.8

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think you need to find out what the blood test (HBa1C?) result is. Normally you have the blood test up to 2 weeks before the consultation so you can discuss all the results in particular the Hba1C at the consultation
i had my fasting blood done two weeks before and my level was 7.8

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i had my fasting blood done two weeks before and my level was 7.8

It sounds to me like this result is simply a blood glucose test that gives the level at the time the blood was taken. The blood the nurse took when you were there will most likely be the HbA1c test which will give an average of your blood sugar levels over the previous 2 to 3 months and is what they use for diagnosis of diabetes. A fasting level of 7.8 is not a good sign but you need to be patient and wait for the result of your HbA1c test. Maybe you could ring the receptionist and ask if the result is back yet. It only takes 24 hours at my surgery, but other surgeries will differ.

Your meals look OK to me apart from the rice and chips! As you are very sporty, do you drink a lot of energy drinks?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good man! :) You need to wait now until you know your HbA1c levels and get a proper diagnosis.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Jacko

You have previously posted that you were diagnosed type 2 in 2012. Do you know what your previous hba1c results were? Do you test your blood yourself throughout the day?

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi avocado yes my nurse keep changing it one minute type 2 next igt i asked her about this as i was confused . I was igt been treated as igt. I had phone call from doctors today my nurse going to ring me friday with hba1c results and something about a management plan ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi my typical day intake is scrambled eggs for breakfast. lunch i have a salad. and my evening meal normally is meat or chicken with either rice or sometimes a hand full of chips . i also train a lot because i play a lot of racketball tournaments . aslo yes my bloods was taken two weeks before on a fasting blood test with a level of 7.8
Rice is the worst for me but chips are bad enough. Have a look into LCHF if you want to get your bg down.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think I asked you earlier whether you were overweight and also how old you are? This sometimes help get nearer the most likely diagnosis. Let us know what your HBa1C is when you get it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good that you now have a proper diagnosis and no need for meds at the moment. Now you can start to make a plan of action as regards your diet!