Help.

gabby.kruse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I need some help & advice of how to get back on track with testing and taking my insulin. I've had diabetes since I was six and i'm now fifteen. These past couple months I've been slacking off and i'm scared because this has happened before and i was in a really bad condition. Anyway anyone that knows how i feel or can help me, please message me or respond. I need it.

xoxo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Ultimately, the only person who can really, really help you, is YOU. Until a year or so ago, I expect your Mum, or another adult, controlled everything about your diabetes, just as they did their best to control what you ate, when you went to bed, who your friends were and so on. You are now at an age, when you increasingly control all these things for yourself - and it's quite a responsibility. Going to bed a bit late, or getting in with the wrong crowd, doesn't usually affect the whole of your future life, but, as I know you know, uncontrolled diabetes will.
You sound like a very intelligent young woman. You have already recognised that you have a problem, which is the first step in dealing with problems - and you have to deal with this one. Here's one way of looking at it: It's just another piece of tedious ****, rather like menstruation, that you just have to deal with. There is no choice, and if you are going to enjoy life and get all possible pleasure out of it and not let it hinder fun and relationships, there is no alternative, but to get on with it.
It's about 45 years since I was your age and I have no experience of T1 diabetes, so I'm not sure if I have been of any help, but at least my reply will bump your post up on the forum a bit.
Sally

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Gabby, do you still take your insulin when your supposed to? (Assuming your type 1) when I was your age I didn't care less about my diabetes, I was diagnosed when I was 3, please just have common sense and think about your future, what you do (or don't do) now will have an effect on you in years to come, I never used to test, I only took 1 injection a day instead of 2, it's had an effect on my eye sight, thinking back I can't believe how silly I was, it is your health at the end of the day. What are you not doing and what are you doing that your supposed to? Abbie xx

Reactions: 2 people

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
Hi Gabby, ignoring your diabetes won't make it go away, it will just make it worse. It's hard as a teenager to feel different from your friends and I remember that I felt it was so unfair. BUT it is something you have no option in. We have diabetes and we are fortunate that it is a condition that can be kept under control. I know this may sound harsh but when I start feeling sorry for myself I remind myself that there are people in the world who have medical conditions that their is still no cure for and who are a lot worse off than me. Taking control of your own diabetes is a life skill that you can be proud but don't get too disheartened when you have set backs - it happens to us all

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I agree with the comments "upstairs".

From a guys perspective.. I can walk away from dodgy women, **** jobs & even political bands.. Somethings you just can't ethically change..
But diabetes is one of those things you can't afford be flippant about.. It's a personal journey. Control it & stay on top as best you can, or it will bite you in the **** long after what you felt valid at the time was giving the feeling of unfairness in life due to it...
I have a T1 mate who buried his head & now he's the proud owner of a new kidney & all the hassle that goes with it to stop the "rejection" of said organ.... (His eyesight ain't too hot either.)

You are here on a forum. There is plenty of good advice..
Diabetes will not hold you back in life. But the complications from poor control may have regrets that will...!

I'm not saying I haven't messed up from time to time myself.. But I have been lucky. Or at least known the priority!

I sincerely wish the best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need some help & advice of how to get back on track with testing and taking my insulin. I've had diabetes since I was six and i'm now fifteen. These past couple months I've been slacking off and i'm scared because this has happened before and i was in a really bad condition. Anyway anyone that knows how i feel or can help me, please message me or respond. I need it.

xoxo

You've taken that important step Gabbie and recognized that you need help and it's a good start for you :) diabetes can be a bit frustrating but you can beat it :) @Mrsass and the rest of the members gave excellent advice. you have the whole world ahead of you at fifteen:think about the places you can travel, and all the good experiences you can have during your teens and 20s. Think about the parties you can go to, or enjoying the day with friends, and you'd be able to do all that if your sugars are well controlled. Sick days are horrible :( I don't have t1 (I'm a t2) but I've been on that road before where I felt sad and overwhelmed and you just need someone to talk to. We're here to listen, you're not alone...This forum is very helpful, lots of people who will listen to your concerns. There is also a teens section here, where t1s your age participate....and hopefully this message can help bump the topic and the t1s can also reply :)

Xx
Adelle

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Gabby, I had similar experiences as a type 1 teenager myself. Each night I would go to bed with the very best intentions. Tomorrow would be different, I would get back on track. Each day would then be added to the pile of failures. I never seemed to be able to stay away from the sugar.
Sometimes we need a fundamental change to see improvement. For the last 6 months my control has been better than it ever has before. This is all due to me following a low carbohydrate diet. Not everyone on this forum agrees with this way of eating, but it's worth considering. Have a watch of this video if you are interested.
If you have any further questions, there is an entire section of this forum dedicated to low carbing.
Best of luck, and well done on posting, which is an important first step (you have already made more effort than I did at your age).

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You will go through life and there will be times that you do slack off a bit, but that's OK, as long as you have the ability to get back up to speed after your time out.......

is your slacking off failure to test, inject or eat sensibly, or is it them all........?

I suspect you might just need some motivation.....:)