help

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious
please can somebody help me i have been a type 2 diabetic for 4 years dietry only and my readings have been superb 6.1 etc went to docs 2 week ago and was very suprised that my reading was 13.5 over the last six week was given tablets called damicron but after a week of taking theese felt very unwell stopped taking them saturday as was nearly passing out been bacvk to the docs today and she did a reading with the glucose monitor and it said nearly twenty it has never been this high is this because i stopped taking the tabs????????????????
anyway have been given metorformin tabs took one earlier and have felt like my eysight is going but have been told to grin and bear this for a week tthen told to takefor next week then two for a week then three for a week does anyone know why my readings are high and will the meterformin work they have told me that the only othe option is insulin have please help as my head is spinning with to much info stress etc thankyou

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Carlos ,welcome to the forum.What has changed in your life that your blood sugars have suddenly gone up so much? Can you tell us what sort of diet you have been following and have you changed it?

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
not really changed much lastweek have been eating a lot of bread potatoes fruit but have today been told that to much is bad for you have never really been given much advice on diet just left to my own devices any info you could give would be very much apreciated

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Bread ,potatoes ,pasta ,rice and any flour based products are all complex carbs which you really can do without or,at least, cut down to very small portions.Complex carbs are absorbed and turned 100% into glucose in the blood.Excuse the personal question ,Carlos but are you overweight?

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
lol thats ok no under weight was well overweight when was diagnosed but lost all the weight and lossed about another stone over last three month stopped smoking was doing everything ok quite cant get my head round whats gone wrong need to look at my diet asap i think

Steveee

Carlos,

If you have been put on medication for your diabetes, don't forget you can get a prescription exemption certificate so you no longer have to pay for your medication. If your GP has already told you, then I apologise. :wink:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Just re read your post Carlos,the reason your eyes are blurry is the high blood sugars,once you get them down your eyes should return to normal providing your blood sugar levels do not remain high for too long.

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
thankyou for your advice sue have woke up this morning feeling a little better might be the tab who knows i think a lot of my current increase in my sugars is the food i am eating i am now looking at what i am eating ie instead of bananas and weetbix a bowl of porridge sound like goldilocks lol hopefully this will work along with the tablets

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Porridge can raise BG in some people.Best thing is to test before and two hours after each meal,keep a food diary for a week,and then you will see which foods affect you.

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
is it true cheese is okay hope so anyway have had some today i seemto have all my wires crossed at the mo i alwys thought it was just sugari food that should be avoided the more i read the more its down to carbs have only had two slices of bread today rather than 10 lol sorry if i seem to be winning on just took a few days of work to get my head round and tryin to understand thats all seems the info i have had so far has been poor

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Carlos,

It's a common misunderstanding that all a diabetic needs to avoid is sugar! But carbohydrate is by far the worst enemy. 10grams of sugar will convert into 5g of blood glucose immediately. 10grams of carb (like bread, potatoes, pasta, etc) will convert into 10g of blood glucose, but will just take longer than sugar to convert.

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
thanks for that info it looks like you have to be really carefull what you eat it is hard to belive that i have been thinking that potatoes bananas bread etc plenty of it is good for you at least i now have an idea why my sugars are going up and up within the last two week already feel better with my eyes just feel a bit light headed might be the tab the info i have had through this site has already helped i think????????????????????? also does anybody know were you can get a self tester and wich is the best to go for???????????????

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Ask your doctor/nurse first and see if you can get one from them.If not then most big chemist sell them but the test strips are expensive.If you buy one make a note of all your readings and show the doc. just how committed you are to gaining control ,maybe then they will prescribe the test strips.

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
thankyou again am going for my prescription l8r will ask then

ang

Hi Carlos,
It really is so important to test your bs levels - certain foods make such a massive difference and it seems that some foods can be tolerated by one person and not another - i've only been diagnosed t2 for a month and am on metformin(they seem to help but you can't just rely on them to deal with the diabetes on their own cos they won't!). I find that if I eat porridge with skimmed milk or if I have wholemeal bread my bs levels go up up up!!! on the other hand, muesli seems to agree with me and rice cakes seem alright instead of bread.
Good luck and try your hardest to get test strips on prescription - unfortunately down here in "sunny" Cornwall the healthcare trust won't let you have them!

nannoo

Hi Ang - where are you in Cornwall? Our cottage is near Liskeard. Ang, do you have a formula for testing ... do you try porridge and test, then muesli and test, or is it just trial and error? I'm now keeping a food/exercise/BS diary (started Monday!) to see if I can tell from that what I can take. It's not easy though, is it?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Good for you nannoo,that's the way to do it ( sound like Mr Punch there!)

It's hard work at first but very slowly you built up a menu of meals that are Ok.

ang

ang said:
Hi Ang - where are you in Cornwall? Our cottage is near Liskeard. Ang, do you have a formula for testing ... do you try porridge and test, then muesli and test, or is it just trial and error? I'm now keeping a food/exercise/BS diary (started Monday!) to see if I can tell from that what I can take. It's not easy though, is it?
I live between Newquay and Padstow. As only recently diagnosed, it's still all hit and miss over what to and what not to eat although a pattern does seem to be emerging and what everyone says on this forum about not eating too many carbs seems to be oh so right! - I hate taking Metformin and would love to get to the point where I could stop needing them. It is very hard and there is so much to learn but I think I have come out of the "negative feeling" time of diabetes and now the hard work begins - nannoo you sound in a very positive mood also and now you are keeping a diary you also will find a pattern with bs levels and food etc. Do you have t1 or t2 and what is your treatment if you don't mind me asking? :)