carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Hi

There are lots of great tips and advice on this forum, I would like to post the different recipes and foods I am finding out about each day and where possible reference them to links.
Also I would like to tell you the brands I use and where to purchase, this I believe will help the newly diagnosed as the first thing that went through my mind was "I wont be able to have anything nice to eat for the rest of my life"
This I found out was not the case as I have been eating healthier and tastier than ever.
I am also helped by my partner who is studying Public Health Nutrition in Cardiff University, however she wont be accepted on to the Dietetics course because she is old her face will never fit, this is a big loss to the NHS I know.

Please feel free to post your recipes on this post as its great to share and learn

Ok here we go

One of the points I would like to make is that all diabetics are different what works for me may not work for everyone some of you want to lose weight, some want to maintain and some would like to gain.

The first thing I did when diagnosed was reduce the carb intake started eating Omelettes to feed the hunger without consuming the carbs.

Now Omelettes are wonderful things you can add anything to them and if you make a 3 egg omelette but use 1whole egg and 2 egg whites then the cholesterol is kept to a minimum

The foods I have tried in my omelettes are:

Cheese (Cathedral City low fat)
Onions
Tomatoes
Mushrooms
Ham

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
carlrr said:
The first thing I did when diagnosed was reduce the carb intake started eating Omelettes to feed the hunger without consuming the carbs.

Now Omelettes are wonderful things you can add anything to them and if you make a 3 egg omelette but use 1whole egg and 2 egg whites then the cholesterol is kept to a minimum

One of the first, if not the first dish I cooked for myself was egg foo yung with king prawns. You can by Hearty eggs in supermarkets which are higher in omega 3, http://heartyeggs.com/ and are supposed to be better for cholesterol. Chive, sliced onion and finely chopped spring onion plus a handful of king prawns make this egg omlette a real dish but, for that authentic smoky wok taste a little bit of oil with toasted sesame seeds and a little bit of dark soy sauce. Goes great with just a handful of brown rice which has been cooked in a chicken stock.

http://www.smokywok.com/2008/11/shrimp- ... ecipe.html

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Excellent post, I'm going to try that one this week.

Another meal I enjoy

Venison steaks 2 for £4 in Asda (you find them in the steak aisle
Sweet potato mashed or chipped
Salad marinated in balsamic vinegar with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
Beetroot

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Anna

I bet they taste gorgeous, I am certainly going to try them and especially with the warmer weather hopefully on its way a great barbecue addition as well as a great snack

Great stuff

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
BBQ's eh :p

Carl ...

Bake in tin foil any fresh fish [my fave is salmon] and [give a good squeeze of lemon or lime juice first]
Bake tomatoes,peppers,mushrroms,green beans again in tin foil to accompany the fish or chicken .

I usually just add a bit of tomato puree with a tiny drop of kallo veg stock [pre made] drizzled over these.
I use Kallo stock cubes as its very low salt content plus gluten/wheat free range.

As a great savoury, add to fish or chicken . Or you can use a feta cheese or minted pea's tossed salad ?
There 'are' loads of suitable tasty things to try and they 'do' help keep the BG's down too :thumbup:

Sooo yummy and tasty ' roll on the summer ' :D

Anna.