Hi all ! A bad diabetic here

russell1977

Dislikes
Chel$ki
Firstly greetings to you all, I must confess a terrible sin, I have had type 1 diabeties for 28 years (diagnosed 5th birthday) for the majority of my life to the age of 25ish control/sugar levels etc were fine, then I suppose complacency set in, very rarely tested bloods random amounts of insulin etc etc (also high blood pressure and high chloestrol), needless to say my control hasnt been great, I know what ive got to do but its doing it that is the problem. Yesterday I had the wake up call at the eye hospital ,yup you guessed it laser treatment(which isnt particularly nice) I now vow at the age of 33 I dont want that to be the tip of the iceberg and will amend my ways.(hopefully with a bit of help from you guys)

Alanem

Dislikes
Fish except from the chippy
Hi Russell Good to hear from you but sorry about the wake up call. One good thing though you heard the alarm bells ringing...now it's sort yourself out time. Best of luck with it!
Alan

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Russell
I think a lot of us experience some sort of wake up call, you aren't the only one. The majority of us if we are honest, will experience a wake up call of some kind or other. I too was complacent a long while ago, and I had a customer of mine who was an orthapaedic surgeon telling me I was killing myself. I, fortunately did not get to have any complications, but whether young or old, I firmly believe that none of us are perfect and angels. To be perfect would be beyond us human beings. We all fall down somewhere.

Learn the lessons, and move on. It's the only thing to do. You aren't bad, you just aren't a holier than thou angel......me too!!!!

I hope that now you will regain good control. There may be blips along the way though....there a lot of forum members here that can help....

MaidMarion

Hi Russel, I'm a type 2, so haven't experienced problems from yr viewpoint, but was told by a diabetic dietician several yrs ago that it is okay to have a small amount of sweet food OCCASIONALLY, but have it when I take my medication if possible, to prevent a 'spiking' effect. I've found that its become an easy habit to 'indulge' daily though, and have recently decided to try and save the 'treat', to one particular day in a week, prob a Sunday. I rarely have a sweet after a meal when eating out, and don't feel deprived. Sweets are quite expensive now anyway, and if you take your time with your meal, you enjoy it more, and feel fuller. If I get in a 'picky' mood, (usually of an evening watching t.v.), I have a handful (or two!) of assorted nuts. Each nut type benefits you in different ways, and I remove every scrap of fat from meat, bacon etc to allow for the fat from nuts. (Tesco sell a delicious 'discount' brand in a dark turquoise coloured bag, which are £1.19 now I think). I fortunately love veg, but fall down on trying to eat an assortment of fruits, which I realise, starts with buying them in the first place! If I need a bit of chocolate, I get dark as its better for you, and just have 2-4 squares, and suck them slowly, leaving a 5 min gap between them.... but PUT THE BAR AWAY FIRST! I can then leave it until I need another taste, which can be up to a week or so l8r! Just be sensible, always talk to yourself and ask 'Do I NEED to have this now...or should I save it 'til 2moro/the weekend/my reward day etc., Hope my ideas are ok for type 1's, and that this helps, and others will add their ideas too. Good luck with improving your health. :wink:

sue32

Dislikes
false people
I'm with MaidMarion here. I'm also T2 but I don't deny myself anything. I believe it's not what you put in your mouth, it's how much. I don't eat any starchy carbs, and have lost 7 stone in the past year. I eat unsalted nuts, 2 pieces of fruit a day and chicken, turkey, fish for protein. I eat fresh veg and salad veg. I never, ever feel hungry. If I feel in a picky mood I make a batch of home made soup. This also guarantees my daughter gets all the vitamins she refuses to eat any other way!! :shock:
I do eat chocolate but funnily enough I do the same as Maidmarion - 2 or 3 pieces of dark chocolate and just let each piece melt in the mouth. I don't like puddings but I have found some lovely sugar free yoghurts; hard to find in the stores but available online. Sugar free jellies are a God send!! There are ways if you look for them. Good luck!!