Hi BG Levels and Facial Infections

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi all, I'm currently experiencing higher than normal BG levels which I'm currently working on to try to reduce to more normal levels. However, I've recently developed some quite nasty boil-like infections on my face which my GP says is probably caused by shaving and exacerbated by high BG levels. I've been on antibiotics for just over a week now and they're clearing up. My GP also advised that I shave with a single blade rather than the multi blades that are popular. I've purchased one and have shaved with one today but I just wondered if anyone else (presumably of the male variety!) has had similar issues?

Thanks in advance.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Steve,

I did have more of those mattery-headed spots (I wouldn't have called them boils) at times on my face when my BG was higher than it is now and it's true that they've stopped more-or-less in line with my reduced BG levels.

However, I think we need to be careful not to attribute everything to diabetes. I'm sure it doesn't help but whether it actually caused them, I couldn't say.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Steve, I would focus on your bg, why do you think It's gone high

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I'm a female but have also developed spots on my face, even though BS control good. GP thinks it may be diabetes related but they really don't know for sure.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i thought i had a facial infection but the wife said "nah your just an ugly *******"

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
These are my thoughts - right or wrong.
Our bodies run on and are governed by hormones. If there is an imbalance of any sort then there will be signs seen. The skin is the biggest organ in the body and as such may well react to a hormone imbalance. Ask any female about her skin condition when her monthly is due. At puberty the hormones are running rampant and imbalanced. Some people get spots, some get none at all and others get boils. I had horrendous spots akin to a pizza.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i think youre probably run down along with high BG. When my BG is high and I dont have stable control, I too get all types of infections.... from spots to a stye in my eye...or even a cold sore. Work on getting your BG down and keeping them stable. Get a good multivitamin. Eat fresh foods and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. I think your body is telling you that you need some change. Listen to your body.
Hope you get sorted.

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Thanks for your replies. Still trying to get my BG down to normal levels but it's not going well. I'm hoping to go on basal/bolus because Novamix just isn't doing the job anymore. Just need to try to convince my nurse - again!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
High Bg can make infection more likely, but it can also be a consequence of infection.
I'm a woman so don't need to contend with shaving, but my T1 husband and I have been married over 40 years, so I'm familiar with the process.
I obviously con't know your specific problem, but I'll suggest you up your hygiene techniques for your shaving gear, whilsst watching carefully what you eat. If things don't improve quickly, harras that GP of yours
Hana