Hi could someone please offer me some advise ?

lullybags

Hi i am student nurse based in London as was wondering if someone could offer some advise on a personal level.

I have been getting regular episodes of thrush just recently and this has never happened to be before. I was in a lecture yesterday and happened to mention that i felt rather shakey to my friend who said that i look rather tired. I then mentioned that i always get sweaty and palpatations if i have not eaten for a while, she said this was not normal !

I have been working very hard and long 12 hour shifts and just put my tiredness and irritability down to this.

I am not overweight but i do get very very shakey towards lunch time even if i have eaten breakfast.

I hava always had a bladder like a camel however just recently i have not been able to stop using the loo quite frequently and this is not like me at all.

My friend told me to not have any breakfast this morning before i went to uni and she would check my BM, she is a type 1 diabetic and woud bring the equipment with her.

When she checked my BM at 0830 this morning my BM was 5.2, which she said was fine, she said to have my breakfast and coffee and she would check it later in the morning.

I ate my breakfast which was toast with butter and a coffee and had a snack on crisps and chocolate during my lecture, she checked my BM again at 1230 and it was 3.2 and i dont know if this is normal or not.......

Could someone please advise whether is shoud of been higher as my friend sait it should of been much higher.

I am a student but we have not covered this in any great detail as yet.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Lullybags.
Welcome.

Having read your post it would seem you are a typical student who is not gettin proper meals at the correct times. Snacks are not meals, you should try and get three small meals each day.

You don't say if you are a Diabetic or not ? The symptoms you describe could be Diabetes. There are also a myriad other things it could be ? A lot which are not Diabetes related.

The only way you are going to get to the bottom of this is by seeing your GP and discussing all this with him/her.

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi
If you have any real suspicions that you could be diabetic, see your doctor. However. diabetes usually results in high blood sugars( what you're calling BM) not low and 5.2 is normal for a non-diabetic. 3.? is what happens if you haven't eaten properly.
The shaky symptoms can be a hypo, but anyone, not just diabetics can get them. the causes are different tthough. For diabetics, hypos result from too much medication combined with too little food. for non diabetics, too little food can do it.

lullybags

Hi Cugila,

Thank you for responding to my plight, No i am not a Diabetic as far as i am aware.

I have called my GP and got an appointment for next week, and i am quite interested to hear what he has to say.

I am normally very healthy and have not had any illnesses.

Lullybags

lullybags

Thanks Hanadr,

I think i just need to eat more often and more substantial meals too.

I should not listen too much to what is said in our lectures, i will be self diagnosing ME next........

Thanks for your advise about seeing my Gp.

Lullybags

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Student nurses often get 'run down' ,dehydrated and generally under par.I suffered a lot of things as a student that I have never had since!! Hana's advice to see your doctor is very true.

Trinkwasser

Thsi sounds like what I used to do - for about fifty years: Reactive Hypoglycemia. It can be an early sign of Type 2, sometimes it will progress quite slowly and other times much faster but can be quite debilitating.

First you eat some carbs and your pancreas fails to respond so your BG shoots up. Then your pancreas wakes up, panics and dumps far too much insulin and sends you low.

See if you can beg borrow or steal a meter for a while and do this

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -test.html

only start about half an hour after eating and go out hourly to about four hours. My pattern was to spike around the 1 hour mark and be back almost to normal at two hours, then rebound low at the three or four hour times.

Treatment consists of reducing the carbs until you no longer spike, after which the rebound stops occurring. Grazing - eating small meals and snacks with small carb loads rather than main meals with significant gaps between may also help.

Since you may have a normal FBG and be more or less normal again at two hours your doctor may not spot the problem. A GTT might show it. I'd do some of your own tests looking for a pattern and take the results to the doctor. bear in mind that some believe this condition does not exist and will write you off as "neurotic" (BTDT) but it can be controlled.