Hi, diagnosed about 6 years and about to start Victoza

jayney1966

Hello Everyone.
After 5 years of being on metformin MR (x2 per day), Pioglitizone, Ramipril, Aspirin, Glimiepiride, with Simvastatin at night I noticed my blood glucose creeping higher and higher. Diabetic Nurse said latest HBA1C was 86 rather than 65 - 70. Reluctantly referred me to Consultant who was fantastic. I am overweight (but have always been) but Pioglitizone had increased my weight by 2.5 stone in 5 years. Taken off that immediately as he said that he couldn't understand why I'd been put on that. In addition to stop the aspirin immediately "as it may have been best practice" 6 years ago, unless I had an underlying heart complaint, no need to take it. He said for me to continue with Metformin MR twice a day and the other tablets save for aspirin and Pioglitizone (as been on it for 5+ years higher risk of bladder cancer) and it probably will make me lose some weight. Now I am to start Victoza. I've not got a fear of needles but I seem to be worrying about it (waking up in night, dreaming about injecting in the stomach, can't get back to sleep etc). Due to start on 24 February with a lesson with the diabetic nurse. I am almost 50 years and feel really stupid for asking these questions. Does it hurt? Worried about nausea (as had this for 3 months with Metformin which is why I went on the MR) and are there any long term worries? Worried about what the signs are for bladder cancer? He told me I'd reached the end of the line really and if Victoza doesn't work it will be insulin. Any advice about starting off with Victoza would be appreciated. Dose is to be .60 initially and then 1.2. He said not to use the 1.8 in any circumstance. Thank you. xx

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I,ve been on victoza 4 months and to me it's a wonder drug. Have lost weight on it and at last blood test my level is almost at non diabetic level. If it stays the same or is lower at my next test, then I, m to stop taking all diabetic meds

jayney1966

I,ve been on victoza 4 months and to me it's a wonder drug. Have lost weight on it and at last blood test my level is almost at non diabetic level. If it stays the same or is lower at my next test, then I, m to stop taking all diabetic meds

Thank you for this. Your readings seem quite low for your HBA1C. My consultant said that the tablets I take have not worked really since 2011 but my Dr/Nurse never said a word to me despite being tested every year. Has my first foot check this month too

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@jayney1966 - Hello and Welcome to the Forum:). There is nothing to worry about when injecting - NO it does not hurt, just take your time and relax - you will become a dab hand at it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Can you tell us what sort of diet you are on and what approach have you taken to lose weight?

jayney1966

Hi and welcome. Can you tell us what sort of diet you are on and what approach have you taken to lose weight?

Hi, seen dietician this week who is happy with my food diaries and says the food I eat isn't an issue. If I have bread it is low GI and I watch all carbs etc. I am not on a diet, I do not wish to diet but just eat healthily. I don't exercise much because of my asthma but have upped my walking. I work long hours 70 plus per week and consultant said I should try and get more of a work life balance. I am also trying to eat regularly.