Hi everybody

James2782

Hi everybody. I'm not diabetic, but my girlfriend is type 1. She was diagnosed at the age of 5 and is now 17. She is currently using the accu-chek spirit. She was moved onto the accu-chek compact about 9 months ago, but moved back onto the spirit a few months later. We found that it leaft a lot more room for human error than the spirit, due to the fact that you have to fill the cartridge yourself.
I try to attend all my girlfriends clinic appointments, and have had full training to use her pump. I can see how difficult it can be to live with diabetes and would like to think that my support can make life easier for my girlfriend. Having said this, I sometimes feel a little helpless, when she is feeling down or upset over something concerning her diabetes. I hope that this forum can help me learn even more than I already know, and in turn help me to help make life easier for Cara.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi James,
welcome to the forum, i must say i wish every young man was as thoughtful and wishing to obtain maximum knowledge as you, your girlfriend is very lucky. This coming from a parent of a T1 child who after 3yrs my hubby still can't get his head round all the facts and figures! So well done you.
Take care and anything you need to know, theres plenty on the forum to help and give advise & support.
Suzi x

C

catherinecherub

Hi james and welcome.
Your girlfriend has struck lucky with you and the help and support you are willing to give her.
Hope the forum works for both of you in providing answers to any questions you may have and look forward to you contributing. I am sure that you will be able to answer some questions for others as well.

Regards,
Catherine.

nash

Dislikes
I hate Hypo's because I just then get on a roller coaster and i can't get off!
As the others have said, your girl friend is one lucky girl to have found you!
My husband knows very little about diabetes and although he tries to show an interest in what I'm up to it goes in one ear and the out the other for him! Altho hopefully he does know how the Glucagen Kit works for emergencies! :?
It would help me loads if he would eat some of the meals that I prepare for myself, (I'm trying to low carb) and if he didn't sit and munch on sweets and choclate right in front of me! :x
Well done you for being so proactive in order to make things easier for you and your girlfriend. :D

James2782

Thanks for all your kind words. It means a lot when I feel I can make a difference, and its so nice to know that theres people like yourselves ready to give support, and help when its needed.

James

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
WEll doneJames!
I hope you are appreciated!
I have been helping a T1 husband for about 35 years( diagnosed afte we were married.)
Have you read Dr. Bernstein's Diabees Solution yet? I find this the most useful book of all. It's technical, but I've never found anything in it that doesn't work.

jopar

Hi James2782

Good on you, you seem to be doing all the right things, as to the feeling of helpless at times, I wouldn’t be to worried about this, it’s only natural. Both my husband and I are long standing T1 diabetics, as yes I can say that at times each of us have felt a bit helpless with each other diabetes…

Mind you I haven’t let him to near my pump yet, I’ve only just started to teach him how to insert a infusion set etc, and this is only because I’ve a frozen shoulder so some infusion sites might get a tad bit difficult to reach…

James2782

Thanks hanadr, I haven't read it, but will make sure I get hold of a copy. Hi jopar, I've found it so valuable knowing how to use the pump. cara spent ages with me and I must say she was very patient, but its nice to know that if for any reason she is unable to do anything, that i can do it for her. She had that little faith in the compact for the brief time she was using it, that I used to change the cartridge all the time.