Hi Everyone and Thank you for the Info on This Website

Jiro

Hello everyone, I am a 48 years old man and I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 6 years ago. I open this topic to introduce myself, I am currently on a diet and I do sports to improve my Diabetes treatment, I have levels in the morning between 100 and 140. Also, I have other family members who are diabetic and I hope I can also ask questions that they have and share on this website

Thank you to all for reading me !

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Someone will be here shortly to give you the information that is given to newcomers.

In the meantime do you have a meter and test your levels regularly? I'm not sure how your levels look as mine have different units and I'm not sure of the conversion. Do you know what your levels are during the day?

You say you are on a diet- what type of diet is that?

Anyway feel free to ask any questions you may have- there is a wealth of experience here and people are always willing to help.

Welcome.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mmol converter to mg/dl

says
100 =5.6 mmol
140 = 7.8 mmol

i'd say i hit the morning with 5.6 to 6.2 on a regular basis so for me the FBG 7.8 would need addressing

if you gave us your normal average daily foods, perhaps some of us could help you tweek or identify what is causing some of the issues.,,i never stop learning on here

i'd say for 6 years you've been training alone at home and done pretty well,

but now you've joined THE best FBG Gym in town.
and all for the measly monthly rate of zero pounds, ( but only applicable as long as you pay some Interest..;) )

ask questions, take notes, we all been there done that, due to not knowing what to eat, to how the FBg affects us on a daily basis.

No questions too dumb when YOU don;t know the answer.

Not the Forum everybody wants to be in, but once in, THIS IS the best Forum for T2D.

welcome.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome, @Jiro .

giphy.gif

Jiro

Thank you everyone !
Actually, I am using a vegan diet, this is what my doctor recommend me.

And my levels are between 5,6 mmol and 7,8 mmol , jjraak was right :)

Again, thenk you very much !

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm neither a nutritionist nor a medical professional, but I would suggest looking at which vegetables your doc recommended, as some veggies are full of carbs. But your BG numbers look good IMO, in any "language". :)

I'm also interested in a doc recommending a vegan diet. :)

Reactions: Jiro

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again,

many people find that regardless of the type of food the factor that is important is the carbs. Many vegetables have relatively high levels of carbs and are probably best reduced or avoided completely

The best way is to test before and after a meal so that you can see the effect of the food on your blood sugar levels It would probably be useful to log the food and calculate the carbs in each meal. Everyone is different so some foods may have no effect on you but a major effect on me. Similarly people can tolerate different amounts of carbs

While your levels are good it may be worthwhile experimenting bit to work out which foods have the most effect on your blood sugar levels Knowledge is always useful when it comes to your health. There is a part of this forum that relates to vegetarian diets- you may find that interesting.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You have been given a difficult path to tread - the almost zero carb foods are meat fish eggs cheese gelatine - low carb yoghurt is a handy dessert or breakfast.
All plant based foods are going to have carbohydrate, the food group you need to cut down as much as possible.
You are OK at the moment, you are probably burning up quite a bit of your intake doing sport, but you might be in trouble if you get an injury and cannot get around.
Do you calculate your intake of carbs?
Can you reveal the sort of things you are eating and what your levels are after meals, as we often see vegan diets put forward as a good option and yet seldom see data on how vegan meals affect blood glucose.