Hi everyone...another newbie here..

crewegirl

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here but not a newbie to Diabetes. I've had it for 3 years and not managed to control it too well.
At the moment I control it by taking Glicazide and Metformin but my numbers are getting higher and higher and it doesn't seem the medication is working anymore! I expect it won't be too long before I have to go on insulin.
It doesnt scare me and I think I'll cope ok...but do I have to have a stay in hospital whilst I am 'converted'? Hope not.
I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and think it (and you) is fantastic.
Looking forward to meeting you all and learning from your knowledge and experiences. xxx

Geoff

Hi Crewegirl, welcome to the forum. If and when you have to go onto insulin, there will be no need for you to stay in hospital, unless unless you have developed complications due to excessively high blood glucose, such as a high ketone count and need to be stabilized.

Your best bet is to have the conversion done at your local hospital diabetic center, not with your GP. The center is better equipped and will have a better trained diabetic team, who will give you the necessary education and training that you will require. Ask you GP for a referral to see a consultant Diabetologist.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Crewegirl,
Welcome to the forum. We've got a thriving wee community on here. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you might even pick up some useful advice from time to time.
Sorry to hear you're having it tough at the moment - you're becoming more insulin resistant from the sound of it?
Have a look around and we'll catch up with you later.

All the best,

fergus

Hey there,

You shouldn't have to go into hospital if they move you to insulin. When they moved me from tablets to insulin I had a 2 hour appointment at my Diabetes clinic where they went through everything. I was also told to go back at any time if things were becoming a problem or I just needed a chat.

Hope things go well

Stuart

Ashland

Dislikes
Constantly being asked if I'm okay! (does this happen to you?)
Hey crewegirl. I'd like to second what fergus said - except I think you're unlikely to cry.
Unless you start following the carbs thread in the "diabetes discussion" forum.
:shock:

Hope all goes well with the switch to insulin. I haven't a clue what it involves, but I'll wish you good luck that you probably don't need :)

donnamum

Welcome,

Hope you feel a bit better about everything soon.

I'm sure you will find this forum a great suport and help.

I would truely be lost without it.