Hi folks. Wondering if I can get some feedback. I work as a hgv driver. I have full hypo awarenes

Steve1981

Hi guys. I work as a an HGV driver and each year I need to go through a consultation with the Dvla consultant. For the past 3 years I’ve been cruising through them. I meet the requirements. No severe hypo requiring assistance from another. And test my blood sugars at times relevant too driving. I have as far as I’m concerned excellent hypo awareness and normally feel a hypo in and around 4mmol. However the other day whilst out running I felt as if I was going low. I stopped and checked my blood sugar and I was 2.2 I treated this immediately myself and carried on with my run. This was a one off I’ve not been low as this for a very long time. And I check my sugar on average 10x a day because of my job I like to be safe. I’ve my Dvla consultation on the 4/5/21. And although I shouldn’t be worried because of this one reading I can’t help feeling a little anxious that I could be classed as hypo unaware. When I know I clearly am not.Any help from anyone or any medical professional would help me put this worry to the back of my head. Thanks guys

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Steve1981 - Welcome to the forum :)

I can only guess that you had been low for a while on this occasion and so you hadn't felt the sudden dip of a hypo which releases hormones to keep us aware, when we've been running low for a while the awareness isn't so apparent, that's my experience of hypos. The fact that your licence and livelihood is at stake is a concern but also the ability to be safe on the road driving a HGV is obviously a grave concern, have you thought about investing in a continuous glucose meter such as the libre 2 or Dexcom G6, as you will get an alarm on your phone if your levels start dipping below 5 mmol/l, as there's a bit of delay you could set your target higher say at 5.6mmol/l so you have time to pull over a treat a potential oncoming low before it hits ? You may well get funding from your team to support you for this, so do speak to your diabetic team and get some information from them on this.