Hi from Wales

gbswales

I am 63 years old with type 2 diabetes I am gay with a much much younger civil partner 8) - I like to get that out of the way upfront - it saves people guessing about me and if you are prejudiced :cry: about older younger relationships then you can just avoid talking to or about me - thanks. I am pleased :D to say most people are really friendly and treat our age gap as we do - as if it doesnt exist.

I have had type 2 diabetes for about 5 years now which exacerbated to insulin dependence after a severe pancreatitis episode. I am a risk taker with health - I have lived with haemophilia all my life and refused to let it hold me back - I have always taken the view that a long term illness has to adapt to me rather than me be a slave to the illness. :twisted:

Despite having to infuse myself with factor 9 treatment regularly - diabetes :( has affected my life far more than hemophilia ever has. When the diabetes was first discovered I had a level of over 30 which caused the doctor to send for me PDQ.

There are times I wish it were a disease which, if you ignored your sugar levels and enjoyed life would just let me drop dead one day but it is the fear of side effects that makes me apply a little bit of self discipline - though, even doing that, I struggle to maintain an Hba1c below 10 :oops: - it should be lower I know but my life has always been a compromise.

anyway more about me as I explore other forums but hi to all :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi gbswales.
Welcome to the forum. Any questions just ask and we will do our best to give you answers.

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi
I have no opinion about age gaps and am 100% in favour of civil partnerships.( my sister-in-law is a registrar in Swansea and has officiated at some)
I am fascinated that you have factor 9 deficiency. ( Christmas disease isn't it?)
I did a reseach study on factor 8 deficiency in females many years ago
I suspect that you have just got so used to coping with that, that it doesn't impinge on you. I can assure you that diabetes can get that way too.
The possibility of complications can be acry, but with GOOD control, they aren't likely.
If you aim for and mostly keep to Non-diabetic bg levels, you should be safe.
Hana