1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hi I am new here. I have a question. I am still working as I am a key worker. As a type 2 should I b

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by LindaHodgson, Mar 29, 2020.

1. LindaHodgson

LindaHodgson · Newbie

Hi I am new here. I have a question. As a type 2 and a key worker, should I be self isolating, or can I continue working?

2. marco2002

marco2002 · Newbie

Hi I am new here to but I am a keyworker too I work in health and social care as a carer also awidowed single parent as far as I can make out if you have an underlying health condition such as diabetes you are at increased risk. In my case my GP signed me off work and my company accepted his view on what could happen if I work frontline. Hope that helps. Regards marco

3. marco2002

marco2002 · Newbie

Forgot to also mention I have been signed off work for 3 months lol

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Self-isolating is for people who have symptoms of Covid-19 or who live in the same household as someone with symptoms.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

Shielding (avoiding face-to-face contact for 12 weeks) is for people who are at very high risk from severe Covid-19 infection - that does not include people with diabetes unless they have other health conditions which make them particularly at risk.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Social distancing is for everyone else, including people with diabetes. If you can't work from home, talk to your manager about how you can reduce your risk of catching the virus at work.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

A few doctors are willing to sign diabetic people off work, but I think this is not very common. The official line from the government is that diabetics should continue working but maintain 'stringent social distancing'. As a carer, your manager should provide you with the PPE needed to reduce risks and perform your tasks as safely as possible.

Are you a carer in a nursing home?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. marco2002

marco2002 · Newbie

I was very lucky tbh. My boss said "where can I find a GP like yours" as a lot GPs are playing hardball and won't sign people people off. In my particular setting the dayservices have stopped so if you do not get signed off by the GP you are on unpaid leave and if you do not want to do that then you will be redeployed to other frontline services...

7. LindaHodgson

LindaHodgson · Newbie

Thank you.

8. LindaHodgson

LindaHodgson · Newbie

No I am a retirement home manager, with relatives and deliveries every day. Although I practice safe distancing, not everybody who comes into the locked down building does!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook