Hi I'm new

Nell 50

HI
Have been diet controlled for a few years but was given testing kit yesterday and took my first Gliclazide tab this morning Diabetic Clinic said I would feel more energetic but I just had a 2 hr nap
I"m very lacking in energy. I think the forum is great and have learned a lot from you. I was on the Aitkins diet and lost weight with that and felt much better but was told to stop it by doc. The Diabetic clinic keep talking about carbs all the time, so was surprised that so many of you were on low carb diets so is the Atkins diet a no no. or have I not learned enough from you yet.

Nell 50

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Hiya and welcome to the forum, well it's good that you've been given a testing kit after so long.

It's a shame after you've had some good results with your weight that your GP won't support you with your diet choices. If you haven't already seen a dietitian I would recommend asking for a referral.

There are plenty of members of this forum who are successfully managing their BG following a low carb diet, just as there are members who are following dietetics recommendations. Read around, have fun, and arm yourself for your next confrontation with your GP.

Regards, Tubs.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Nell,welcome to the forum.Did they give a reason for coming of the Atkins diet? Most restricted carbers on here eat lots of vegetables to get their carbs ,did you eat veg on your Atkins diet?

Grumpy

As a new T2 I've lost 8lbs (don't know what that is in forrin) so far on Low Carb ands that's over 3 months. So that's not good for me, then?? Atkins is a bit extreme for me, I prefer low carb to no-carb, but I feel better on LC than I have done for years and my bs is coming down gently. Keep doing what works for you; they don't have to live with YOUR diabetes!

Nell 50

Hi sugarless Sue
Thanks for checking me out not only am I new to diabetes I"m new to computers too re the reason I came up on announcements Never been in a chat room but felt if I was going to try it it would be this site,,,but to get back to the questions about the doc telling me to get off the Atkins diet , he said that it was heavy going on the kidneys, and in answer to your other question about me eating carbs I took them in loads of veges. I"m not sure how to go about getting this reply to you my thanks to all who responded to me and if you know how to get me out of that announcement column and into where I should be please tell me.

Cheers Nell

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You're just fine here in introductions Nell.
Eating lots of veg with your diet is exactly what a lot of members do to keep their blood sugar levels down.Most reduce the amount of starchy carbs in their diets,such as bread,potatoes,pasta and rice and also all flour based products.This is because the carbs in these turns 100% in glucose and raises the blood sugar levels a lot.

deadwood2

Me too! Welcome..

Nell 50 said:
HI
low carb diets so is the Atkins diet a no no. or have I not learned enough from you yet.
Nell 50

There's a lot to learn - and extremes aren't good, I'd say :)

I've been very frustrated with my quack an his sidekick because they're taking things slowly. But in truth, it's giving me breathing space to work stuff out for myself. Go with the flow till you're up to speed and then take your own decisions..

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Nell,

I'd say that the Atkins diet probably has a lot more to recommend it than the starchy carbohydrate diet that the NHS often recommends. The refined and strarchy carbs disrupt your blood sugars terribly, while more natural foods such as meat, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts and most vegetables will not. Keep testing your blood sugars and this will become clear pretty quickly.

All the best,

fergus

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
G'day Nell, and any other newbies.

I'm afraid I can''t drop in here as often as I'd like to, so I try to concentrate on the new people when I can.

I wrote some ideas to help people begin. Please click on the link, I hope it helps a little: Getting Started

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
sugarless sue said:
G'day Alan ,nice to see you back on the board.
Thanks Sue.

I'm afraid time is the enemy, but I'll try to drop in at least once a month in future.