VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
:D Hello! :D

I am so glad I have found this place, I have so many questions!

This year I went to the doctors about my constant tiredness. I mean I need at the very least 7 hours sleep a night, I sleep for England! :lol: I commute, and by Friday I am exhausted. I get episodes where I go dizzy and feel quite weak also, and I wanted that checked out. Sooo after a few blood tests (one false reading for anemia for some reason) it emerged that on 2 fasting tests my blood glucose was high - 6.7 or 6.9. Now, the doctor hasn't said the word diabetes, but my Dad is apparently borderline (didn't think there was such a thing to be honest) and my Nan has it. Two of my sisters were diabetic during pregnancy also.

I am seeing the nurse on Thursday, but after a little research on the net I discovered the GI thing and have been reading up on that. The doctor says I have to try and control my blood glucose with diet, and after 6 weeks go back for another blood test, and after this if the levels haven't normalised, I am on medication - she didn't say what.

I have a few questions, if that's OK.

1. I also have poly-cystic ovaries syndrome - are these conditions linked in any way?
2. I am overweight. Even if the diabetes is genetic, is this why it has emerged so early? :( And if I lose weight (i'm trying, i'm trying!) will it get better, disappear? *wishing*
3. I have noticed that in the last couple of years my memory has got really bad, and my handwriting worse - is this an effect also or just an age thing? (I am 31)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome,
there seems to be a link between auto immune disorders and if you can lose weight that would help as if you are type 2 u will probably have insulin resistance so losing weight does help,ive lost 4 stones and have been able to cut my insulin down drastically,have a look round the forum as many type 2 diabetics have cut down on the carbs and lost weight and have found they have been able to get through without meds,kepp asking the questions as this forum has many knowledgable people who are excellent at helping you out :D

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
Hi VBee, I can't answer your questions but thought I'd say Hello. I've only just been diagnosed as well and am finding things confusing too. My reading was also 6.9 but I was told it can be controlled by diet and a little exercise. I'm also cutting back on certain carbs and following the GI diet. My wife is getting very good with it for me. Have a read around the forum, there's lots of good advice around but I have found some conflicting bits. But at least you'll be able to make a more informed decision. Hope it goes well for you.

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
That's fantastic, thanks for the comments/help/questions. Cameraman, I am hoping I can regulate using diet too.

That link is very interesting! I have loads of things I have to go back to my doctor/nurse with. I am hoping they do actually talk to me about it and not just leave me to find out on the internet. :roll: Is it your experience(s) of the health service nowadays?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The more knowledgeable questions you can ask the better!!otherwise you usually get the paternalistic 'just take this and don't ask questions'!! That link is ,I think ,from the USA but the details should be the same.

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
I have read on this and other sites that caffeine makes blood sugar levels rise. I used to drink alot of coffee but for the last 6 years I haven't been able to as caffeine makes me feel hyper and weird and spacey. Just finding out new weird coincidences... odd!

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
I havn't started testing yet but I belive caffiene doesn't help. I find it makes my legs jumpy at night and makes me (more) irritable. I've cut it out totally now. Its also on the list of stuff to avoid that the Doctor gave me.

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
It's weird how all the pieces start to click together isn't it? Seeing the nurse tomorrow so we can compare notes. :mrgreen: