hi need help and a buddy

mortigger1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi i want to try get of drugs,and been told lowering carbs is best.
Dont know were to start orvwhat to do,also dr wants me on statins but whats strange is my total cholesterol is 4, but my triglycerides are 2.6 and my hdl is 0.80. Im confused by all this any ideas. How can get triglycerides down and hdl up please

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi i want to try get of drugs,and been told lowering carbs is best.
Dont know were to start orvwhat to do,also dr wants me on statins but whats strange is my total cholesterol is 4, but my triglycerides are 2.6 and my hdl is 0.80. Im confused by all this any ideas. How can get triglycerides down and hdl up please
I found that low(er) carbing helped me to lower my trigs (1.3 TO 0.69)and raise my HDL(1.0 TO 1.4)

Reactions: 2 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carbing works. Try eating more omega 3 rich foods (oily fish such as salmon, mackeral or sardines for instance), olive or flax oils, eggs are a good source of good cholesterol which helps get rid of the bad and improves the ratios. If you drink alcohol cut down and perhaps change to red wine (not too much though) which will also help with triglycerides.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can stay away from pasta and bread or make low carb versions, also add coconut oil and nutter to your diet, unfortunately there's a scare for saturated fat but this will actually increase you HDL (good blood lipids) also TGs are more important than LDL and total cholesterol is a meaningless measure.

Solestar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, apathy and Cretinopathy (a term coined by lowcarbdibetic.co.uk) which is a common diabetes related condition where people who should know better (Healthcare professionals and Diabetes charities) advise diabetics to consume high carbohydrate/sugar food.
Hi Mortigger

Low carb is probably the best thing you can do to manage your condition and there are some excellent resources on the internet. This is a link to Jenny Ruhl's Blood Sugar 101 website and is a brilliant place to start, particularly for type 2 diabetics. http://www.bloodsugar101.com/ She has also written a book by the same name where she pulls all her resources off the net and puts them in an easy to follow guide for lowering your glucose levels.

Dr Bernstein has also written an excellent book called the Diabetes Solution. Both are diabetics themselves, Jenny type 2 and Dr B a type 1 for many, many years.

I hope this helps.

JUlie