Hi new here

JohnRJ

Hi
My name is John.
It's my wife that is diabetic and as been for 44 years we have lost children because of it (ie) one soon after the baby was born my wife was in a diabetic coma the funeral had taken place before my wife came out of the coma.
So we have experienced some of the pit fall's of diabetes.
My wife as also suffered amputations first below the knee then above the knee same leg as had laser treatment for her eyes and recently a heart attack we have 4 grown up children and 10 grandchildren.
And as most of you know you can look after yourself and still get these complications as my wife as never smoked or been a drinker and always watched what we have eaten.
The diabetes came out soon after we got married which was in our teens and we are still together 47 years later so we have spent all our married life dealing with diabetes.
Hope to learn more from this site i have studied diabetes and it as helped me understand what my wife and other diabetic's have to put up with.
Kind regards John

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,John and your wife.I hope that both can have a good read around the forum and ,if you have any questions,please ask.There is always someone with an answer.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya john,
welcome to the forum :)

moonbeam

Hi John, i fairly new here myself and hardly know anything about diabetes yet but i just wanted to say hi to you and tell you im sorry to hear about the sad times that you and your wife have gone through.
Your wife is lucky to have such a caring man.
47 years married is quite an acheivement, well done.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi John
I'm sorry you and your wife had havd so many bad experiences
What HbA1c is she getting and what do you eat? you say it's a good diet, but we wouldn't agree that the usual diet recommendation is a Good diet.

JohnRJ

Hi hanadr

HbA1c is always between (5)-(6.7)

And the diet is very good as i prepare all the meal's and have for many years i am also my wife's full time carer.
What we eat is a varied diet with vegetables and fresh fruit very little fat that we know of no added fat but certain food's have a little fat in them.
As i said i have studied diabetes and that was started in 1965 so have seen many changes (ie) boiling serynges testing urine with water and a tablet in a glass tube been told to eat very little carbohydrates to being told to increase them.
Being on pork insulin also bovine insulin and now man made human insulin.
So have really known what to look for.
But diabetes can still catch up with your body even when you know what you are looking for.
But having said that we can learn all the time which i try to.
Yes i agree that not all diets are suitable for diabetics but your own body in most case's will let you know if you are going wrong (ie) if you aren't eating enough then you get your Hypo's so yes make your diet according to your needs.

Kind regards John

Reactions: 4 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
John,
Fat isn't your wife's enemy. Carbohydrates are. The advice that's often given to diabetics to "eat plenty of complex carbohydrates with every meal", is a problem. You say plenty of fruit. the sugar content of fruit can send blood sugar soaring. vegetables are fine. The Hb A 1cs are not bad, but it wouldn't hurt to get them lower. Are you getting BG readings after meals which are above 10?
Anything above 7 is contributing to complications.
It might help your wife to cut out sugar ( natural as well as added sugar) and cut back on starches.
Whatever control medication she uses, is likely to need reducing if you do that.
Many off us on this forum believe in keeping medication to a minimum and keeping BG VERY TIGHT.
You have nothing to lose, so why not try for a week and record your wife's BGs. And see how it goes and how she feels. If it doesn't improve things, then go back to what you were doing before.

JohnRJ

Hi handadr

First and foremost my wife as been a Diabetic for 44years.
As soon as blood reading monitors were available we bought one in those days it cost us well over £40.
Yes my wife check's her blood about 8 times a day so is on top of any low or high reading's.
But that did not stop her losing her leg or poor eye sight and numerous other medical complications.
As for the fat not being her enemy it is because only 4 month's ago my wife had a near to major heart attack due to blocked arteries and suffers from peripheral heart disease so fat is a contributing factor.
I am not contradicting what you say but i know my wife very well and what she does to help herself and as been congratulate by many a consultant for the care she takes of herself but as i said before it depends on your body make up how your body reacts towards diabetes in some cases you can do every thing right and diabetes can still defy you and damage parts of your body my wife was a very fit person before she became a diabetic and as been after being diagnosed and brought 4 children so she as not done bad.
And still continues to do her best by looking after her self the best she can with my help.
And a reading of 5-6.7 is still pretty good after 44 years of having diabetes well our consultant said it's pretty remarkable after 44 years.
Thanks for your replies and please don't think i am being funny but i think my wife all that she as been through is a remarkable person.
Kind regards John

ChocFish

Hi John

Your wife is a very remarkable person indeed; both of you have had some very difficult times there, you say that her diabetes has always been very well controlled, and you have done your research too, so I wonder why your wife suffered all those complications? What would you say is the reason for this, is it just pure bad luck? Or do you think it could be due to vitamin/mineral deficiencies or transfats?

Considering your wife has had all these complications she seems to have strength to recover from each episode, she probably also has a positive outlook and eating good food, all that would help her too in her recovery?

I know several diabetics, both type 1and 2 who have been diagnosed 30-40 years ago or more and they have no or very slight complications, including my aunt who is now in her 80s, she was diagnosed with type 1 when she was just 17, she is an inspiration to everyone, she is still very active and alert, cycling and swimming every day and doing voluntary work at her local library.

Anyway I wish you both all the very best

Karen

JohnRJ

Hi
I do understand that some people are still very active after many years of being a diabetic.
And i only wish my wife was one of them but not all metabolisms work the the same ie a baby can be born with a malfunction that as nothing to do with how that mother as acted during her pregnancy so some people are not dealt a good hand of cards in life somtimes so it's beyond there control what happens to them.
As my wife's parent's were old when they had her by most standards my wife had no real evidence to tell if diabetes was in her family line as most of her relatives had died when she was young it's not till many years after my wife had diabetes that we found out that 3 of her family of past generations had to have amputation's of there leg's.
Since my wife's amputations we have found it was due to them having diabetes.
By tracing family member's we have found that the following generations have diabetes too.
And some well a least one as also lost a leg also none smokers and none drinkers.
So i think in my wife's case looking at her genetics she didnt stand much of a chance of not getting it and all it's complications her brother died of a heart attack at 60 he also had blocked arteries in his leg's her dad died of a heart attack at 55 her mum had a stroke at 45 so not a good pedigree.
We do all the right thing's but we have a hereditary problem so any fats we tried to avoid and all the bad contributors to diabetes but to keep bouncing back after losing children being coma's amputations poor eye sight ie laser treatment cataracts heart attack never says why me and bringing up 4 children and helping with 10 grandchildren my wife's not doing to bad well i think she's doing really well but then i am bius.
Kind regards John

C

catherinecherub

Hi John,
Welcome to the forum.
Reading through your post makes me realise that some people are dealt bad hands and as you so rightly say it is the genetic element.
I am glad that you and your wife are so upbeat and you are doing a marvellous job of caring for such a brave lady. I think the secret of your success is that you are in love with each other. I know this might sound a bit cheesy but I think that love conquers all.
I am glad that you have a loving family and I am sure that the grandchildren bring a twinkle to your eye.
You seem to have the diabetes under control between the two of you which is a good thing because when things go wrong it is equally bad for the carer.
Have a look around the forum as I am sure that there are questions that you can ask and answers that you can give. There is also a lighthearted thread, General Chat.
Regards, Catherine.

Reactions: 2 people

sue57

Dislikes
false people
Hi John
First of all, welcome and congratulations to you and your wife on how you've coped with her diabetes. I too believe we are all dealt a hand and no matter what we do, sometimes we just have to deal with what we're dealt. My husband was Type 1 diabetic for 34 years, always well controlled, never smoked, drank very rarely but had to have laser eye treatment, heart bypass surgery and died of a heart attack at the age of 51 nearly 3 years ago. I have Type 2 diabetes and I take insulin. Type 2 diabetes is in my family too and I do try to keep my BM's as low as I can but I have insulin resistance which doesn't help me a great deal. I have always been told to eat plenty of carbs and I find advise very confusing. To carb or not to carb? I do hope you find the help and guidance you're looking for on this forum.
Sue

chocoholic

Hi John and welcome to the forum. You sound like a lovely, caring hubby and I am sorry for the sad experiences and losses you and your wife have had. I don't suppose there is anything more painful than losing a child but you and your wife sound as though you deeply care for each other and I'm sure it's that that has pulled you through things.
It's very hard to read that complications can still happen to those who have tried so hard to stave off problems. I've always feared the possible long-term complications myself because I NEED to keep in good health myself for the sake of my disabled brother.
Out of interest, what levels of carbs. does your wife eat,please? Your wife has had many more years of diabetic experience than me, so I just wondered if her carb. levels had changed at all over the years?
Glad you have joined the forum, Chocoholic.

ChocFish

Hi again John, I do not think that you are biased, you and your wife have done extremely well raising children and helping out with your grandchildren too despite all those problems, I take my hat off to both of you, you certainly have tried to do your best.

I have the same questions as Chocoholic has posted above, what does your wife eat, how many carbohydrates, etc and what about transfats, does she take any supplements at all, good oils, etc?

I really do hope that she can stay healthy from now on, have you check out the amputee forum too? Its very supportive and some good advice there too.

Lots of love to both of you

Karen

CalicoBec

Hey John,

welcome to the forum :) I'm just starting my 'diabetic journey', but i just wanted to post to say welcome and well done on being such a caring hubby!

Becca