Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
Hi all,
Didnt know I was diabetic, just a chance test at the doctors bg 16.9 after 12 hour fast followed by
5 days in hospital having all sorts of tests, and bg now under control ,they have successfully lost my tests for GADS twice so a visit to see the consultant this week didnt confirm t1 or t2, he thinks poss T1 as c peptides are low so I have to wait another 3 weeks for results, been put onto novamix 30 twice a day with a novarapid for lunch time, and with having to test bg up to 12 times per day as i drive a lot for my job I feel like a dart board! DVLA are no help, I phoned them to advise them of my condition and they said not to bother them until I was definatly T1 or T2 with medication finally confirmed, my van insurance wanted a doctors signed medical report, and my car insurance said thanks for the phone call, there doesnt seem to be any common ground here,so it makes it difficult to stay legal.
Luckily no complications, but was told that had it not been found, I would have gone to meet my maker tomorrow( sugar and alcohol fueled christmas day ), so im very happy to be here to tell the tale

Merry Christmas to you all,
Glad to be alive!!

Paul

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Paul.
Welcome to the Forum.

Regarding your diagnosis, you will have to wait for it to be confirmed and take it from there.

You have done the right thing in contacting DVLA, once confirmed, if T1 or T2 on Insulin then you MUST notify DVLA. If T2 on diet or tablets only then no need to notify the DVLA. If put on certain other injectable meds again no need to notify DVLA. (Car drivers)

Insurance is a mix of Civil and Road Traffic Law. You must notify your insurers when diagnosed with Diabetes. What they do about it is entirely up to them. You have complied with the terms of the contract with them. Make sure you keep a record of any phone calls etc. Times/dates/people you spoke to.

Your van insurers can ask for what they want, it is their risk, and they decide who and what they will cover. Many insurers can opt not to cover people with medical conditions in the same way they can refuse to cover musicians, salesmen etc. However, they should not discriminate against you if you are presently insured with them. There are plenty of other companies who will accept you.

In Road Traffic law if the Insurers void your policy because of something you didn't tell them or failed to answer a question correctly then you will be Driving with No Insurance......a serious offence.

So, do all that you need to, keep records of everything. Then you will have complied with all the legal requirements.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya paul and a warm welcome to the forum :D and merry christmas

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello Paul - hope you get answers soon. Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :)