Dislikes
being on my own
having problems knowing what to eat at evening meal without carbs

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night I had Roast chicken with vegtables. Admitedly there are carbs in the veg but overall it came in at less than 10g.
Night before it was baked cod with salad- this came in at less than 15G
Monday night was an all day breakfast - sausages, bacons eggs and mushrooms(fried in butter). I always allow 8g / 100g of carbs for the muchsrooms but soem sites/books (Carbs and cals) advise 0g for these. Even with 8g for the mushrooms in came in at jsut over 10g

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Try Dietdoctor website. Great menus and recipes on there.

Reactions: ianpspurs

saw123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being on my own
thanks ixi429. I try to eat my main cooked meal at lunch time and any carbs eaten at that time.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Apologies, just noticed this is your first post so tagging @daisy1 for the info pack which is jam packed full of links for you as well as information on the basics. Welcome to the forum. Have a read around and ask as many questions as you like.

Reactions: Brunneria

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Difficult to eat no carbs, unless you want to limit yourself to meat. I get my carbs from vegetables, but refrain from eating the higher carb vegetables, like corn, peas, root vegetables. I agree with ixi1429, meat and vegetables.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I had a red Thai (low carb) vegetable and Quorn curry last night. Made a big batch for freezing. Sometimes I just have cheese :)

saw123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being on my own
hi, meal plan's get hard to know what to eat, as have other health issues, like different foods, ie milk, spicy foods ect
Trying to lose weight, as most people, trying low carbs at the moment, but no results yet, maybe not eating enougth, all trail and error at moment.
Weight to lose 33lb (15kg)

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yeah, other food issues don’t help, do they? I’m allergic to meat and dairy, so totally understand! Can you tolerate other animal’s milk, like sheep or goat?

saw123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being on my own
with diet low carb, also trying exercise, but is differcult due to heart condition, very restricted

saw123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being on my own
hi, mel dcp.
Im using lactose free milk or some times soya milk, but find to can upset my stomach, if have more than 1 item of it a day, so staying with lactose free

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carbs and no carbs are not the same type of diet, but @NoCrbs4Me eats a no carbs one so may have further advice.

But essentially, if you don't want to eat any carbs,you are simply limiting yourself to meat, fish, poultry or eggs in some form or other. So just boil, fry, bake, grill , roast your meat or fish, fry or boil eggs, or make them into an omelette; with or without a meat or fish filling. Anything else - milk, cheese, cream veggies, etc are all going to contain some carbs.

Robbity

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@saw123
Walking - always good exercise - remember you don;t have to walk miles, just increase what you do. Take it easy and increase gradually.
Stretching is also a form of exercsie., possible classes - Yoga, Tai Chi but I think you should stay away from Fell running or Judo for the time being.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi saw, I've just changed over to a low carb diet and what do you eat when you don't have potatoes, pasta or rice with a meal they can always sound so dull lacking in flavour and completely unappetising.

Pan seared roast duck breast.
Served with garlic, shallots and bacon, fried in butter coconut oil, with 2-3 table spoons of fresh peas added to the frying pan.

Duck cost about the same a chicken give or take and this works with chicken too.

Roast Venison pan seared in garlic, rosemary and butter.
Served with green beans butterer fried mushrooms and or creamed cabbage with butter fried onions stirred through.
And cauliflower puree cooked cauliflower in a pan with bacon and spring onions fried in butter (blitzed down to form a puree a touch of double cream if your stomach can handle it.)

Again Venison costs about the same a steak and this works with steak too.

Pan seared fresh Tuna (cooked like a rare steak)
with stir-fry or a side salad. I use spinach instead of lettuce in all my salads and always throw a few leaves in to a stir fry at the end, a good source of iron.
One thing use garlic, onion, ginger and soy sauce to add flavour to the stir fry not a packed sauce there about 50grams of sugar in every packet.

Again Tuna is about the same as salmon, repeating my self here, it works with salmon too.

So 3 ideas all LCHF low carb high fat, swap the proteins around like duck instead of chicken and its now 6 meals (only 7 days in the week) that all only take about half an hour to cook.

Food is not the enemy.

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Try gradually decreasing the carbs...make a sandwich with one slice of bread....cut down potato portions etc...make salads etc tasty .c.ut out snacks if you can..chewing gum helps me a lot...and of course sugar...i used to go thru a bag a weeek...hhaven't bought any for over a year now....good luck

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No carbs does mean that you are very restricted.
I eat fewer carbs first thing, as that is what I need to do to keep my BG steady, but with such things as salad and low carb veges my meat fish shellfish eggs and cheese basics are made very enjoyable. Herbs and spices are just about zero additional carbs, and the salad dressing or mayonnaise adds very little.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Low carbs and no carbs are not the same type of diet, but @NoCrbs4Me eats a no carbs one so may have further advice.

But essentially, if you don't want to eat any carbs,you are simply limiting yourself to meat, fish, poultry or eggs in some form or other. So just boil, fry, bake, grill , roast your meat or fish, fry or boil eggs, or make them into an omelette; with or without a meat or fish filling. Anything else - milk, cheese, cream veggies, etc are all going to contain some carbs.

Robbity
Just a minor correction: a "zero carb" diet, which I follow, is not literally absolutely no carbs. It is just a term used for a diet that does not include plants (apart from spices and a few other minor exceptions). It includes animal based foods that have some carbs, such as eggs and milk.