1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hi there

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Dennis, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Dennis

Dennis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ji Jan and a warm welcome to you.

As you are now no doubt aware, the pain you have been experiencing is diabetic neuropathy, but the good news is that this is reversible with a diet that allows you to reduce your blood sugar levels.

You've made a great first step in finding this site and we will do all we can to answer any questions you may have in reaching your goal of having full control over your diabetes.

2. Bluenosesol

Bluenosesol Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Jan ...

I was diagnosed in April and since then have lost 2 st 8 pounds on low-carb (I too was a yoyo dieter)and got my BG's to "normal" awaiting my 3 month review in August. I am also 50's and my fasting BG was 13's (now 4.2 to 5.5).
    I believe that I had peripheral neuropathy because I had numbness in my fingers and lots of pins and needles in my arms hands feet and legs. Now I am "normal" BG''s for over 2 months, virtually all of the PN has gone.
    PS I buy my strips on ebay, if you keep watching the buy it nows, they occasionally come on for less than £10 for 50 (Akku-Chek Aviva Nano) including P&P...I have been advised to ensure that the seller has a good record and a high turnover of goods.

Regards Steve.

3. Dennis

Dennis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry Jan, I forgot to answer your question! Yes, you can get them from any chemists, but you will pay full price for them, generally in the region of £25 for 50 strips. You have to get the strips that are specific to your test monitor - they are not interchangable. If you happen to have an Abbott tester then you can buy the test strips direct from the manufacturer at cost price (around £14). Many people buy them on e-bay but you need to be careful they are still in date.

4. Bluenosesol

Jan,

Metformin will usually cause nausea and bloating, but it will settle down in a couple of weeks. If you are on 4 x 500, then most GP's would start you on 1 pill for 1 week and build up to 4 over a 4 week period as 2000g straight off is bound to heighten the side effects.
    One of the good side effects, is that Metformin tends to help to suppress appetite!

Steve.

5. Bluenosesol

Forgot to mention, that I take supplements daily for the neuropathy.
    I take 300mg Alpha Lipoic Acid (3 x 100mg pills) and 1 500mg of Evening Primrose Oil.
    These are recommended by Dr Alan Bernstein (Must read - Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution)

Please note that in my case these appear to help, but I am taking them purely on reading material advice and also some advice on this forum, however please be careful especially as you state that you have digestive issues, I would certainly run past the idea of taking supplements with your GP or diabetes professional.
    The ALA is also very expensive!.

Steve.

6. Doczoc

Doczoc · Well-Known Member

Jan, I can't tell you how pleased I am that you have got a plan. There are so many people in here that have reaped the benefits of low carb, so many people who have drastically improved symptoms like yours. Make no mistake, it'll be tough at first, but if you can be strict and stick with it, it becomes very, very easy. Everything just improves. The very best of luck!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook