Hi, time to introduce myself it seems

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
And there was me thinking I'd done all the set up instructions for this forum, it appears not. So Im a T1, using a medtronic pump and recently a sensor. The reason for registering was to get some really good feedback on the real life of living with T1 and to offer support to those needing help. Ive had T1 since 29th January 1977, funny how I remember the exact date, but lets just say a good 30 years on, its good to be able to try the new treatments when they come your way. Look forward to chatting to some of you on the forums at some point soon.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sally - I was going to say welcome but it looks like you were here a while before me ;)

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
A lot has changed for T1s in the last 10 years or so...when I think back to my nursing days (a while ago now as I left 14 years ago), we were only just starting to see insulin pens coming in and nobody had a pump or fancy sensor. I love that some T1's can get better control with what's available now,..years ago, it would have been a different story for many.

I hope you get a really good result with the pump and sensor combo :)

And welcome!

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
A lot has changed for T1s in the last 10 years or so...when I think back to my nursing days (a while ago now as I left 14 years ago), we were only just starting to see insulin pens coming in and nobody had a pump or fancy sensor. I love that some T1's can get better control with what's available now,..years ago, it would have been a different story for many.

I hope you get a really good result with the pump and sensor combo :)

And welcome!
Thanks Loobles, yes things have really changed in the last few years - I remember those glass syringes you had to sterlise each night, oh yuk. I just wished my mum could have seen the changes happening - she was a nurse when I was first diagnosed 37 years ago and things have improved, but she would have been amazed at the new treatments available. I would have loved to have seen her face at the pump and sensor, but I know she's looking over me from somewhere else. Onwards and upwards. More importantly lets hope that people in your situation get more support and help than you do now.

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Sally - I was going to say welcome but it looks like you were here a while before me ;)
Hi Robert, thanks for your message. Interesting to see that you're managing to do low-carbing on such a low amount. How do you do it other that successfully?!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Robert, thanks for your message. Interesting to see that you're managing to do low-carbing on such a low amount. How do you do it other that successfully?!
I had been reducing carbs over a couple of years and liking the improvements in BG, so I decided to to go very low carb last Sept and I quite enjoy it. Also driven by my more stable BGs. The only thing I really miss is bananas (have been known to steal an inch from someone else's ;) )

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Love the response of pinching a bit of someone's banana - know that feeling, but not such a fan of bananas, thankfully it seems. Impressed by your low bgs, Im going to give it another go I think based on your response. When I tried it before I had a whole load more hypoos etc, would guess in retrospect I didnt cut my basal rates enough, so will give it another go. How many carbs on average do you have a day?

Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Sally, you could reduce your carbs gradually so that you don't end up missing them so much - you may also find it easier to avoid hypos if you gradually reduce them, with it being only a small change in your diet. I started at about 150g a day and then reduced it over a month to about 50-60g a day. Baby steps...

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love the response of pinching a bit of someone's banana - know that feeling, but not such a fan of bananas, thankfully it seems. Impressed by your low bgs, Im going to give it another go I think based on your response. When I tried it before I had a whole load more hypoos etc, would guess in retrospect I didnt cut my basal rates enough, so will give it another go. How many carbs on average do you have a day?
As @Loobles suggests, it would be an ideas to reduce carbs gradually. I cut my carbs over a period of time in steps of something like 180, 150, 120, 80 and then 30 grams/day making adjustments to basal as I went. When I went from 80 - 30 I also had to start blousing for protein as 50% get's converted to carbs. I find it helpful to use myfitnesspal to keep track of my carb, fat, protein intake.