1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

hi to all! newbie needing advice

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by mitsi, Aug 28, 2011.

1. mitsi

mitsi · Newbie

hi
    i am not sure if i am posting in the right place, am 47! was diagnosed as diaetes type 2 on wednesday, after a blood test - totally freaked out, i was not expecting it.
    glucose=9.9
    hba1c=10.7
    cholestral=6.3
    the nurse wanted to put me on tablets for diabetes & cholestral, i told her i was not ready to take any medication, & will try to modify my lifestyle & diet, which she said ok, nurse has given me a low fat diet sheet, will run the blood test again in 3 months time. At this stage can it be managed without medication, by makeing lifestyle changes(maybe i havent accepted it),does diabetes effect your cholestral level too, should i go back & see the nurse. Am i supposed to be counting calories & keeping a food log, the whole thing is so confusing.
    Any advice appreciated!
    jo

2. pianoman

pianoman · Well-Known Member

Hi Jo and Welcome,

Daisy has posted below the advice usually offered to new members. :eek:

Please stay around, read, share and ask questions :D

3. storm

storm Type 2 · Member

I was the same when I was diagnosed three months ago,it's all very worrying, confusing and new, but please don't panic.

This is a great place for information and everyone is friendly and helpful :D

4. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Hi Jo and welcome to the forum :) You have posted in the right place! It is all very confusing when you are first diagnosed but you will soon find your own way. If you wish to control your diabetes with diet only and no medications you will have to control your carbohydrates as they increase your BG levels. Controlling carbs is more important than counting calories for your blood levels. One thing that is very important is testing your levels, before and 2 hours after each meal. These levels should be approximately the same and if they are not it means you have to adjust what you have eaten, either by reducing the portion size, or maybe you would have to cut out that particular food altogether. You will have to ask your nurse if she would like you to keep a food log. She may want to see it at your appointments. It is useful though to keep some notes of what you can and can't eat. As your BG levels come under control (and weight too if necessary) your cholesterol levels will probably drop too.

To help you get started, here is some information that we give to new members which I think you may find helpful. Ask as many questions as you like as there is always someone who will answer you.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook