Hi to all

simon hand

Just a quick hello to everyone.

I have just come across the site and it is great to hear from other people with Diabetes.

My name is Simon, I'm 37 married with two wonderful daughters. I was diagnosed at 21 with type 1 diabetes and at the time it seemed like it was the end of the world. It might seem like an over the top statement, but I'm sure some of you out there know what I mean.

I have grown up with diabetes in the family, my dad has been a diabetic from the age of 5. I can always remember him having to boil his glass syringes and needles to sterilise them. Just show's you that diabetic research has come along way. He's nearly 70 now and believe it or not, he has had no complications. Just through a very strict diet and he is still going strong.

I've let slip my control over the last couple of years, and I'm getting a few problems, I will be going for a course of laser eye treatment in the next couple of weeks.

My main worry, is not just my own problems, but my two daughters, later on in life, being diagnosed.

Anyway, great to read some of your comments.

Chat again
Simon
:)

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forum. There's lots of interesting stuff on here. I am not diabetic, but both my daughters are (Type1). There's no history of it in our family, so I guess you can never predict what's going to happen! At least you know the symptoms and would pick up on it quickly if either of your girls did develop it.

It's very heartening to hear how well your Dad has done. Complications in later life is my big worry for my girls.
Sue

Fizzy

Dislikes
I dislike nasty people!
Hi Simon,

I was diagnosed last year aged 23 and I think I ve dealth with it pretty well. The hardest part is trying to explain to everyone else that I can eat stuff that everyone else can. I have my bad days where I just wanna eat and eat and not have to think about it but up and onwards!
I struggle every now and again with my levels but I think its more laziness.
I guess us diabadass's need to get our acts together hey? hehe

junieliz

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum, you will meet some lovely helpful people on here. Good to hear your dad is doing well and had no complications so you will have to listen to what he says to you after all he has done well all these years so that must say something. I hope you will soon be back on track and feeling better, junieliz