Hi. Type1.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello people.

I'm a type 1 for about 18 years now, living in the UK.
Over that time my control has mostly been what I considered fairly good, but I've recently taken a keener interest in getting it better.

I don't spend much time with my medical team - probably under an hour total most years. When first diagnosed I was taught the basics, and since then have been pretty much left to get on with it myself, with the occasional check-up.
I'm currently on Lantus and Humalog. I would usually test whenever I felt a bit high or low and correct accordingly. I've never exactly followed the carb counting approach but learned through experience how to adjust timing and doses for different foods and activities.

After the recent detection of some slight background retinopathy and being told my LDL cholesterol was a bit high, I've been doing a bit more to get better control and general health.
Over the last 8 months I've been working out around 6 days a week lifting weights, initially this was just for health, and I've put on a lot of muscle (I'm up nearly 20kg with not much fat gain!) and feel much better generally. More recently I've actually been trying to get back into Olympic weightlifting (I did it for a while as a teenager), with the aim of competing one day.

I've just recently started using the Freestyle Libre which, while it has its problems, and I'm still in the early days (just coming to the end of my first sensor), has already been a real eye opener.
For a start, I'm seeing that the Lantus is much less flat, and the Humalog much slower to start and longer lasting than I previously believed.
Generally I'm seeing a whole lot of ups and downs that I can't fully explain, and a lot of variability even when doses, food and activity have been similar. I always knew it was more complicated than the simplistic methods I was first taught account for, but at least now I can see a bit better what's going on, and hopefully will come to understand why and pre-empt some more of this.

Reading these forums a lot over the past couple of weeks and hearing others' experiences with dealing with this condition has been helpful. I have many questions which I look forward to discussing with you soon.

Reactions: 3 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi Westley. Welcome to the Forum. Everybody is helpful, friendly and some very knowledgeable.:)

Reactions: 2 people

BrianInMidlands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Westley
Welcome to the forum - I can only claim to be friendly ;o)
I look forward to seeing what you find out with regards especially to how the weightlifting affects your levels as I have found a marked difference in the effects of different activities such as running/ cycling/ weights.

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Welcome ! Enjoy the forum. :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @Westley :)

Just keep reading the forum and learning from your Freestyle Libre, I started using the libre 10 days ago and have made a couple of changes based on the downloaded graphs.

However if you want a good book on type 1 diabetes management then look no further than Think Like a Pancreas, it has some fantastic information on basal testing, working out insulin-to-carb ratio's and how to time your insulin doses to reduce postprandial spikes (to name a few).

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Westley :)

Just keep reading the forum and learning from your Freestyle Libre, I started using the libre 10 days ago and have made a couple of changes based on the downloaded graphs.

However if you want a good book on type 1 diabetes management then look no further than Think Like a Pancreas, it has some fantastic information on basal testing, working out insulin-to-carb ratio's and how to time your insulin doses to reduce postprandial spikes (to name a few).

Thanks @noblehead. Funnily enough my copy of that book arrives tomorrow! - I ordered it a few days ago after seeing it recommended on this forum.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
welcome to the forums Westley