hi

sugarfree2

i got diagnosed 3 years ago started on insulin straight away as sugar level was22 been told am type one but as was in fortys am i type 1.5 or type 2

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Sugarfree
I'm afraid we can't tell you what type you are. You need to go to your hospital diabetic clinic to get blood tests done which will show your type. The tests you would need are c-peptide and GAD.

jopar

Don't always need to have GAD and/or C-peptide testing to confirm..

Depends what clinical symptoms you presented when you were diagnosed..

If went to the doctors/hospital showing the classic symptoms quick weight lose, thirst, ketones etc then it's likely that you are a T1..

T2's yes can have pretty high numbers at diagnoses, thirst and frequent visits to the loo but tend not to have ketones nor particularly lose any weight..

Doctors are more likely to get the diagnoses wrong classing somebody T2 when they are T1 but slow on set than they are to diagnose a T2 as being T1 diabetic,

RussG

If you've been told you are type 1, then I guess you're type 1. From a treatment point of view, there's no difference between a T1 on insulin and a T1.5 on insulin. A T1.5 might be stave off insulin use for a couple of years, but that's not happened in your case.

Can I ask why you think you are not T1? Late onset T1 can affect pretty much any age.

daisy3174

Hi my Father was diagnosed with Late Onset Type 1 at the age of 60 , his sugar was in the 30,s and he had Ketoacidosis when diagnosed.My doctor told me there is no such thing as Late Onset Type 1, dont think he knows what he is talking about do you x

sugarfree2

russ

got diagnosed type1 nurse said type 2 hospital started me straight on insulin but then i read about this 1.5 nurse said there is no such thing as type 1.5 was diagnosed with on set sugar levels shoot up and down rapidly but hba1c been in the 5s for three years nurse said she changed me to type 1 on her records not that its a issue but just like to know 1 or 1.5

RussG

Once you're on insulin there's basically no difference between the two. T1.5 is really just considered a subset of T1; the main differences appear to be in how each one comes on. My consultant says I'm either slow onset T1 or T1.5. As I had to go on to insulin, the treatment is now exactly the same so he wasn't going to do any further tests to tell the type more specifically as it would be a waste of money. I can understand this. I now tend to tell people I'm T1 as that's basically easier for most people to understand.

In summary, you'll probably never know T1 or T1.5 but it won't affect your treatment.

PS: your nurse doesn't know what she's talking about and neither does Daisy3174's doctor. I don't think I've heard anyone credible saying that T1.5 or late onset T1 doesn't exist.

AMBrennan

T1.5 is really just considered a subset of T1[...]I don't think I've heard anyone credible saying that T1.5 or late onset T1 doesn't exist.
There is a difference between saying that there is no "type 1.5" i.e. a type of diabetes distinct from type 1 (insufficient insulin production) and type 2 (insulin resistance) - which is technically true - and saying that type 1 cannot occur in adults or have slow onset - which is false.

Edit to add: So the real problem is, IMHO, that doctors fail(ed?) to realise that t1 can occur in older people because it usually occurs in young people.

daisy3174

Hi Sugarfree, just wondering how rapidly do your sugar levels shoot up and down when you were diagnosed.I have had a recent Type 2 diagnosis and this is exactly what happens to me and my HBA1C is normal range, thanks x

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

I'm Type 1.5 (LADA) but was misdiagnosed as Type 2. Now that I have the correct diagnosis, I can keep my BG under control using insulin. I do still produce a fair amount of basal insulin. Technically, this means I am not Type 1, but apart from the much smaller doses of insulin I need and the unpredictability of it, there is little difference. As an example, I only need 4 or 5 units of basal each day to supplement my own insulin. A full Type 1 would die very quickly without their insulin, I wouldn't as i produce enough to bring my BG under control again within 4 or 5 hours (like most Type 2s) - but my post-meal spike would be horrendous and I would be ill. My consultant and DSN don't know how my diabetes will progress - they expect it to gradually progress into full Type 1 but they have no idea of timescale etc. That's difficult for me, but I don't think they have any further tests to help predict that so I just have to accept it. The very high post-meal spike but relatively low fasting and HbA1c levels are typical of LADA. To answer your question then, I think it is crucially important to know whether you are dealing with type 1 or type 2, but knowing exactly which form of Type 1 you have is less important.

Smidge

daisy3174

Hi there Smidge, your post is interesting, I have assumed my I am Type 2 as my doc phoned and said I have diabetes, meeting diabetic nurse Tuesday.Thing is I had high fasting and normal HB1AC (which baffled the doc first of all) but he said its more complicated for me as I have huge spikes but then go very low, did this used to happen to you before diagnosis? x

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Daisy!

I was 42 when first diagnosed asType 2 - I had no symptoms and got diagnosed after a random blood test for something else came back as high BG. They did a Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) and the fasting BG was highish (in the high 6s) but the post-glucose test was 11 something. It was clear from that that I was not metabolising sugar properly. They told me I didn't need to test, so it's difficult to say what my BG was falling to, but I had to go to the hospital a couple of months later and they tested my BG at 4.1 about 4 hours after my last food and wouldn't bellieve I was diabetic :roll: The consultant even offered to undiagnose me - made me feel like I was wasting his time! Anyway, about 9 months later I started feeling really ill and was losing weight (which i couldn't afford to do). I had an argument with my DSN about testing and then bought meter and tested - 26 after a bowl of porridge :shock: Finally, I was put on insulin and more recently, I have tested positive for GAD antibodies. So, LADA was diagnosed. Even now, (more than two years after original diagnosis) I still produce insulin and even without jabbing, a post breakfast reading of e.g. 7.5 would be down at 4.1 by lunchtime most days. So I think it's highly likely that my BG would have been falling back to 'normal' levels or below during the year between my diagnosis and starting on insulin. My HbA1c was never accurate because my BG was so up and down with huge spikes but fairly low lows, that I guess it evened it out and ended up in the 6s. HbA1c is a much better indicator if you can keep your BG fairly constant. The high standard deviation from mean of my BG simply masked the true extent and type of my diabetes.

There are other things that can help with a Type 1/Type 2 diagnosis. Age, weight, family history and ethnic origin are all factors. Also, many Type 2s (not all) have other metabolic conditions e.g. high cholestorol, high blood pressure. In the absence of these metabolic conditions and the absence of the normal risk factors i.e. over 40, (25 if of Asian origin), diabetes in family, overweight, the doctor should suspect Type 1.5/LADA and test for that.

Good luck on Tuesday - let us know how you get on.

Smidge

daisy3174

Thanks for that Smidge, I thought there was no way I could be any type of diabetic because my sugar goes low and high (this has also baffled the doctor)but I have discovered that there are quite a few people who suffered low blood sugar before diagnosis.I have found out also thanks to my meter that my other half also has Hypos and Highs (thought he was turning into a beast as he was just turning nasty for nothing)but measured him today and he was 3.7 and just about to turn lol.All his family are diabetic so its looking obvious, its such terrible luck that we are both going through this at the same time, no wonder there have been so many disagreements of late lol.I shall let you know how I get on on Tuesday x